Why become a member? ×

First build complete! 32" scale 5 string

benh

• benh changed the title to First build complete! 32" scale 5 string
20 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Very nice, Ben ! Excellent work.

No more TLRT's, so 💙.

Thanks Tony! There's a lot I'll do differently next time, the routing could be much cleaner and you may have spotted a slight repair to the neck behind the first 3 frets where I sanded through to the truss rod cavity 😂 but it's all a learning curve. It's been a weird dichotomy of being both easier and much harder than I thought it would be!!

Very well done. Yes, sure you'll have a few mistakes and cover ups, those things happen even to the best of builders sometimes. It can be especially testing when it's a first build, or a new design and you're working out things as you go.

Looking forward to seeing the next build you attempt. (You'd be a rare person if having built your own, you can stop at one....😉)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, durhamboy said:

Very well done. Yes, sure you'll have a few mistakes and cover ups, those things happen even to the best of builders sometimes. It can be especially testing when it's a first build, or a new design and you're working out things as you go.

Looking forward to seeing the next build you attempt. (You'd be a rare person if having built your own, you can stop at one....😉)

Thank you! And yes, I'm already planning the next one in my head 😂

37 minutes ago, mhoss32 said:

Bloody hell...

Thats a marvellous bit of work it really is.

I shall pour a g&t, find a comfy chair and enjoy re-reading the thread!

Congrats, a real achievement. You should be damn well proud :)

Thanks Mark - eagerly awaiting plugging in and playing with the preamp!

• 2 weeks later...

Had some time to properly (I think!) set up the filter preamp @mhoss32 kindly provided. Firstly, although it took me a while to get my head around, I find it really intuitive - like a "super tone control" almost. Very happy with how it sounds, can coax so many different tones out of this with just the one pickup.

I don't have any recording equipment - which will be a blessing for you all considering my sloppy playing - but if that changes I may post some clips 🙂

• Thanks 1

One thing I forgot to mention - the B string. I've always erred on (what I thought was) the side of caution when it comes to scale length on a fiver. But despite being 3" shorter than most other B strings I've played, it's actually tighter and more focused sounding than some 35" scale B strings I've played. No real floppiness or "flubby" sounding notes. Chuffed!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...