Why become a member? ×

First build complete! 32" scale 5 string

benh

Quick fretboard update - wasn't happy with the colour contrast between fretboard/neck/body, so experimented with some spirit stain. Also inlaid the front dots, black mother of pearl to match the 12th fret inlay with some aluminium tubing around them. Happy with the results!

IMG20210702205915.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

He says, whilst planning to steal your idea - likely twirling his moustache while he does so 

Actually, I stole the idea from him 😂

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, benh said:

Actually, I stole the idea from him 😂

🤫.  
Shhhhh! And stop twirling your moustache and cackling with maniacal laughter. It’s a dead giveaway 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 2

I'm actually looking for some advice - I'm trying to think of a way to nip fret tangs prior to hammering them in. I know the obvious choice is a fret tang nipper, but it's a significant expense for something which I will rarely use again. Anyone else have an alternative method?

1 hour ago, benh said:

I'm actually looking for some advice - I'm trying to think of a way to nip fret tangs prior to hammering them in. I know the obvious choice is a fret tang nipper, but it's a significant expense for something which I will rarely use again. Anyone else have an alternative method?

I used to use my side clippers (that I use also to cut the fretwire to size with) to cut in c5mm from the end and then at 90 degrees to take out the rectangle, then file flush to the bottom with a needle file 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A bit time consuming, but a small vice and a small file seem to be doing the job.

IMG20210706223007.jpg

Edited by benh
phone autocorrected vice to American spelling - how dare it!
  • Like 2

On 05/07/2021 at 19:07, benh said:

Spontaneous eBay purchase arrived this afternoon which will hopefully help with body shaping.

IMG20210705173734.jpg

I have it’s bigger brother. One of the most if not the most important tools for me, it was a game changer when I got mine.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HazBeen said:

I have it’s bigger brother. One of the most if not the most important tools for me, it was a game changer when I got mine.

I'm glad to hear that! I was pondering how to get the internal curves acceptable with only a jigsaw and hand sanding - I realised it was probably not going to happen without some help. Tested it on some scrap already to get a feel for it, impressed already. I may have a new favourite tool 😂

• Haha 1

Frets are in! Also had a parcel from the Netherlands arrive with my 32" scale notched straight edge. Waste of money maybe, as it turns out it's dead straight as it is anyway!

IMG20210709144912.jpg

IMG20210709144324.jpg

• Like 5

• benh changed the title to First build complete! 32" scale 5 string