Why become a member? Ɨ

Focusrite solo (3rd gen) to iPad Pro into GarageBand

Reggaebass

Hi, im new to recording so be gentle with me šŸ˜, Iā€™m after some advice and tips on the setup above, I was previously using the irig2, so I know my way around GarageBand a little bit. Ā  Ā Iā€™ve just unboxed the solo, obviously connect both with usb C lead and bass into the jack input on the front, Ā  I just want to double check , if I want to hear what Iā€™m recording , not through headphones , do I connect a lead from my amp input into one of the line outputs on the back of the solo, (thereā€™s more questions to come šŸ˜)

Iā€™m not familiar with GarageBand, but I assumeĀ the backing track usĀ already in thereĀ and you can adjust the levels on the track .

you can also adjust the preamp on the solo and the input level on the bass trackĀ 

justĀ a case of blending them to suit I guessĀ 

• Like 1

On 10/03/2021 at 18:15, Reggaebass said:

Hi, im new to recording so be gentle with me šŸ˜, Iā€™m after some advice and tips on the setup above, I was previously using the irig2, so I know my way around GarageBand a little bit. Ā  Ā Iā€™ve just unboxed the solo, obviously connect both with usb C lead and bass into the jack input on the front, Ā  I just want to double check , if I want to hear what Iā€™m recording , not through headphones , do I connect a lead from my amp input into one of the line outputs on the back of the solo, (thereā€™s more questions to come šŸ˜)

What amp are you referring to?

The outputs on the rear of the Solo are mono line-level outputs, so youā€™ll want to use both of them for a stereo signal.Ā 

Si // Focusrite

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sibob said:

What amp are you referring to?

The outputs on the rear of the Solo are mono line-level outputs, so youā€™ll want to use both of them for a stereo signal.Ā 

Si

Hi Si, itā€™s the ashdown RM500Ā 

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi Si, itā€™s the ashdown RM500Ā 

Audio interfaces arenā€™t reallyĀ meant to output to instrument amps, on account ofĀ the outputs beingĀ line-level, which means youā€™ll be driving your amp quite hard, and at the wrong impedance....it wonā€™t sound great. If you want to monitor yourself via the Scarlett while recording, I would suggest headphones from the interface, or invest in some proper studio monitors (ADAM Audio, KRK, Yamaha etc).

Edit: If you REALLY want to your Ashdown to monitor, I would suggest buying a Re-amp box to put between the Scarletts outputs and your amp. Just remember youā€™ll also be putting through the track youā€™reĀ recording toĀ as well, so less than ideal....I refer back to my recommendation of using headphone or proper monitors.

Si // Focusrite

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another 'cheapo' way of hearing the bass whilst recording is the old 'Y'-cable; a male jack lead with two female jack sockets. One of these for connecting to the interface, the other to the amp. Not expensive, and not ideal, maybe, but works well enough for hearing the bass. Just a thought.Ā B|

13 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Audio interfaces arenā€™t reallyĀ meant to output to instrument amps, on account ofĀ the outputs beingĀ line-level, which means youā€™ll be driving your amp quite hard, and at the wrong impedance....it wonā€™t sound great. If you want to monitor yourself via the Scarlett while recording, I would suggest headphones from the interface, or invest in some proper studio monitors (ADAM Audio, KRK, Yamaha etc).

Edit: If you REALLY want to your Ashdown to monitor, I would suggest buying a Re-amp box to put between the Scarletts outputs and your amp. Just remember youā€™ll also be putting through the track youā€™reĀ recording toĀ as well, so less than ideal....I refer back to my recommendation of using headphone or proper monitors.

Si // Focusrite

Thanks very much si, I wondered why it didnā€™t sound great, so the only way really I can play back my recordings in GarageBand on the iPad is through headphones or powered monitorsĀ 

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks very much si, I wondered why it didnā€™t sound great, so the only way really I can play back my recordings in GarageBand on the iPad is through headphones or powered monitorsĀ 

Itā€™s not the ONLY way (as above), butĀ itā€™s the way that will allow you the best quality IMO

Si // Focusrite

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Itā€™s not the ONLY way (as above), butĀ itā€™s the way that will allow you the best quality IMO

Si // Focusrite

I didnā€™t really want to go down the powered monitors route yet Si as itā€™s just a for a bit of home recording , Ā Ā At the moment Iā€™ve got a single lead from the solo to the fx return, at low volume, will I damage the amp or solo by doing this or would a re amp be better, thanks šŸ™‚

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I didnā€™t really want to go down the powered monitors route yet Si as itā€™s just a for a bit of home recording , Ā Ā At the moment Iā€™ve got a single lead from the solo to the fx return, at low volume, will I damage the amp or solo by doing this or would a re amp be better, thanks šŸ™‚

No you wonā€™t damage anything, it just wonā€™t be the best tonally is all.
Personally I dislike recording with an amp in the room,Ā much prefer headphones to track with, then mix on monitors (if available).

Si // FocusriteĀ 

Edited by Sibob
  • Thanks 1

Just my tupporth.. I have the Solo 3rd Generation, albeitĀ going into Windows 10 and Reaper DAW. Excellent interface.

Headphones all the way, and reasonable (I got some AKG second hand for about 25 quid) ones make the whole experience better both for tone and comfort. Using the headphones out of the Solo, press the button for Direct Monitor and mute your instrument track in the DAW. This makes it so much more possible to play in time with the track!

• Thanks 2