Why become a member? ×

Battery Run Down

yotter

I bought a Dean EUB and am very pleased with the quality. I find the tripod stand means the bass is so much easier to play. However my one criticism is that the pre amp, which runs off two 9v batteries, runs them down very quickly.  It's rather fiddly taking the batteries out. Has anyone had a similar problem with this or other EUBs?  Would it be possible to install a switch, as I presume once connected the pre amp is live? 

23 minutes ago, yotter said:

...Would it be possible to install a switch, as I presume once connected the pre amp is live? 

If it's like most other instruments with built-in pre-amp, it does have a switch : the jack socket. If the jack plug is removed when finished playing, the pre-amp is no longer powered, so the batteries last longer. Do you unplug from the EUB after each playing session..? :/

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

If it's like most other instruments with built-in pre-amp, it does have a switch : the jack socket. If the jack plug is removed when finished playing, the pre-amp is no longer powered, so the batteries last longer. Do you unplug from the EUB after each playing session..? :/

My Yamaha SLB 200 is set up like that as are many others as mentioned above. It seems almost everyone has to figure this out after the battery goes dead either because they didn't read the manual or it isn't explained in it, which is kind of odd. This topic has come up frequently on any site that deals with instruments with built in pre amps, especially EUB's. Many separate pre amps have the same set up as do some pedals. At least you have it sorted now and you can have some upright fun. 😊

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that & I didn't know the jack socket acts as a switch. I may have inadvertently left the amp lead plugged in during storage to save time setting up. I'll look online to see if there are any instructions for my bass as they weren't passed on to me on purchase ( 2nd hand )

• Thanks 1

On 21/03/2021 at 00:35, yotter said:

Thanks for that & I didn't know the jack socket acts as a switch. I may have inadvertently left the amp lead plugged in during storage to save time setting up. I'll look online to see if there are any instructions for my bass as they weren't passed on to me on purchase ( 2nd hand )

If it doesn't have an off on switch it does it with the input jack like every active bass I ever had.