Why become a member? ×

Are YOU a Boring Bass Player?

Swift Bass

Can I just pop in the man that is Chris Wolstenholme, bass player of what some believe to be the best live band on the planet*.  All he does is shuffle back and forth and nod his head.

*personally I thought they were weren't that great live when I saw them.  Matt Bellamy has stage presence, but the music sounded like it was prerecorded.

10 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

As does Bobby Crush whose high steppin’ piaffe type dressage approach to striking the keyboard is something I’m trying to adapt into my bass technique.

This sort of thing was what I was led to believe rock and roll was all about when I signed up as a spotty youth...in more than 40 years it never happened, I'm furious and I have no-one I can sue over it...

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

As does Bobby Crush whose high steppin’ piaffe type dressage approach to striking the keyboard is something I’m trying to adapt into my bass technique.

I played a gig with Bobby Crush once, complete plonker. Still did the hand thing, spent the whole day complaining at the drummer, didn’t speak to me at all. On the gig he introduced his band- ‘Tim on drums and (mumble mumble mumble) on bass’

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

That's not the style of music i was expecting from you @Dad3353

For some reason i expected something a little bit more "sedate" but well done sir.

Shame we couldn't get a decent view of the bass player tho. 

Are you on drums in this one ?

Dave

Yes, Dave, I'm the chubby one behind the drums. It's Our Youngest on bass, in hyperactive mode, Our Eldest with the Explorer stage left, Vince being unusually expressive stage right (now gone to the Antilles, 'replaced by Nico...) and Steph 'performing' in his inimitable 'put all you've got into it, or don't do it at all' style. Our repertoire is varied; we have one or two 'up-beat' numbers, followed by a cooling-off spate so that I may continue without medical assistance. Another belter, then another low-key one. This RATM was our closing piece, after which I discreetly slip backstage to lie out flat on the ground for a while, to recover. Happy daze..! :sun_bespectacled:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

This is (or rather, was...) our hypnotically mesmerising band, playing at a local mini-festival a few years ago now. You'll understand from the insane antics of all of us the magnetic attraction we emanate, which explains why we get called upon so often. The choreography is meticulously rehearsed, perhaps even more so than the research for the best sound, and pays off handsomely (although it's hard on the knees, and the stunts are dangerous for the untrained. Do not try this at home...). I'll let those that get to the end judge the (modest...) popularity of our 'performance'. So, with no further ado, I'll leave the stage and welcome... The Daubs..! (sporadic applause...)

Good musical performance. Movement etc by band was plenty.

Worth commenting that the lighting was well done and made a big contribution to the visuals.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2021 at 06:39, Frank Blank said:

As does Bobby Crush whose high steppin’ piaffe-type dressage approach to striking the keyboard is something I’m trying to adapt into my bass technique.

Let's not forget the magnificent stylings of Tommy Seebach.  A man whose desperation for musical immortality via the Eurovision Song Contest was only just eclipsed by his desperate and premature demise at the age of 53.

• Haha 3

On 16/03/2021 at 12:05, TimR said:

I’d put the crimes in order top one worst.

1. Staring at music stand

2. Shoegazing

3. Fretboard gazing  

4. Bass player overplaying

I assume (hope) that you're not being serious here?