Why become a member? ×

Are YOU a Boring Bass Player?

Swift Bass

On 10/03/2021 at 14:17, Bilbo said:

I am a Jazz musician. I never play on a stage big enough to move around on. And nobody notices the bass player unless s/she catches fire. Well known fact.

Also, eye contact doesn't matter when the whole audience is wearing varifocals.

Or has cataracts

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, supertzar said:

I'm not a native english speaker so forgive me if I have misunderstood something. I thought there is a definitive difference in "are you" and "you are", so the amount of backside damage in this thread is confusing to me.

The video raises a valid point for discussion. It presents a problem and offers a solution. If you feel somehow attacked by this, then you probably have a not so active stage presence. And that is completely fine as long as you yourself have made peace with it.

I like active shows.

There is a difference, yes

“are you” is a question and “you are” us a clear statement of fact 

Exhibit A.

Doesn't deploy any of the tricks as disclosed in the OP.

Now tell me you weren't transfixed.

It's the clothes isn't it?

No. It's the sock isn't it?

Yes. If you want to be engaging, deploy a sock. Works here, worked for flea... in a slightly different manner, granted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, supertzar said:

I'm not a native english speaker so forgive me if I have misunderstood something. I thought there is a definitive difference in "are you" and "you are", so the amount of backside damage in this thread is confusing to me.

If I understand you correctly, what you term “backside damage” is actually the traditional English/Scots/welsh habit of mocking ourselves. What is your native language? Just curious 

I was most upset by the lack of the question mark in the question being posed.

Mind you, I am on the edge of my seat as to what this channel will produce next... "Are you a boring keyboard player" has proven to be a banger of a follow up.

• Haha 1

I might partially agree with the general idea of trying to take advantage of the physical language as an extra way to convey the emotions that the notes alone can´t on their own; but I can´t help to say this video is EXTREMELY long and over-edited for the sole purpose of basically telling bass colleagues to smile, move around and look like they are enjoying the play.

Nevertheless if I see I very proficient and technical player that does stuff miles ahead of what I can do, chances are I´m going to respect him and have fun watching him play no matter is he keeps a steady face staring at the ground all the show.

John Myung comes to mind as an example. The guy barely moves, smiles, makes eye contact whatsoever with teammates or the audience, (let alone speak) while performing; but his craft has been top-world-class-quality for decades and I wouldn´t dare to roast him just over the fact he looks like a robot sometimes.

• Like 1

Definitely a boring player! Been told I look disinterested, I should move and smile more! however and in my defence, I’m not that good and have to concentrate so much that any change effs up my playing. Sometimes I concentrate so much I forget to breath! 

Edited by andy67
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, andy67 said:

Sometimes I concentrate so much I forget to breath!

I used to get that sometimes early on.

I then started to count off to music that was on while I was doing something other than playing bass.  Usually I would keep time with my feet, either shuffling or tapping heels or toes.  I got used to doing that, say while doing the dishes for example, and it sort of broke the jinx for me.

It looks kinda odd to visitors but I don't care.

• Haha 1