Why become a member? ×

Are YOU a Boring Bass Player?

Swift Bass

4 hours ago, supertzar said:

I'm not a native english speaker so forgive me if I have misunderstood something. I thought there is a definitive difference in "are you" and "you are", so the amount of backside damage in this thread is confusing to me.

It was the capital and bold YOU that triggered me right off to be fair. 😄

Edited by Ricky 4000
bold
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

I doubt many here feel 'attacked' by the post. It's more that the poster has spectacularly misjudged his audience, and clearly hasn't spent enough time looking around BC to appreciate that a community largely comprised of middle aged & often highly experienced musicians, many with 30-40 years of regular gigs behind them, might not be very receptive to his somewhat condescending and judgemental post!

As a result he's been on the receiving end of some suitably tongue-in-cheek ribbing & light-hearted p!sstaking, and interestingly, hasn't been back!

Okay this is real feedback and something I can get behind. Also something that should have been obvious from the start. Condescending tone is something I truly don't get from the video (or light-hearted in the thread for that matter). And I do like that it seems to be intentionally avoiding anything actually related to music theory. I think everyone can find enough lessons about playing differently to make things interesting. There is a difference in being a relaxed and casual and being passive and boring. Not a problem for experienced players, that is true.

I did check the profile and agree that signing up only to promote is a bit fishy.

Edited by supertzar
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, supertzar said:

I'm not a native english speaker

Indeed you are not a native English speaker - but you have a talent for creating some very good new English phrases (e.g. backside damage). So thanks for  that.

Would be good if you could coin some equally good terms for the following:

- Someone who signs up to a chat site purely to promote their own goods

- an annoying youtuber

- youtube click bait

Thanks in advance...….. ;)

• Thanks 1

I'm still trying to figure out why someone would stand wearing a bass for 8 minutes and 44 seconds without playing it.... maybe so people who didn't check the title or can't read what it says on the TV screen know it's about bass?

I say that, I did skip bits, did he take it off?... I can't look at an Ibanez for that length of time, and his voice was putting me to sleep. That 'looking at the wrong camera' thing was getting on my t1ts too! 

• Haha 1

I don't mind all the backlash, feedback and responses. 

It's actually quite good to see that some people took it light heartedly and others went full scale 'attack'.

The youtube video is meant as a joke with some educational benefit for bass players who don't have much gigging experience.

I didn't create a profile just to post my annoying youtube video though, I've been a member of Basschat for a long time but unfortunately couldn't remember my login details, so i created a new account. 

There are youtube videos coming soon that are purely education but maybe Basschat isn't the place to post that either. 

I however, will be using this site like I used too so I'm not going anywhere. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Swift Bass said:

I however, will be using this site like I used too so I'm not going anywhere. 

👍

Please, please, please do a YT video of why 5-string basses are an annoying distraction, and people who play them are '90s throwbacks!

:D

You could call it something like 'The 1990s called, and they want their stupid big toy ukuleles back'!

Or 'Slap bass is for w***ers'!

I would pay cold, hard cash to see the BassChat response to that!

:laugh1:

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Teebs said:

👍

Please, please, please do a YT video of why 5-string basses are an annoying distraction, and people who play them are '90s throwbacks!

:D

You could call it something like 'The 1990s called, and they want their stupid 5-stringers back'!

I would pay cold, hard cash to see the BassChat response to that!

:laugh1:

Deal. What could possibly go wrong!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Marvellous. Now for the Palestinians and Israelis!! 🙂

A Palestinian, an Israeli and an Inuit all met up for a coffee.

Ladies & gentlemen, what a wonderful example of an integrated society!

:) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Indeed you are not a native English speaker - but you have a talent for creating some very good new English phrases (e.g. backside damage). So thanks for  that.

Would be good if you could coin some equally good terms for the following:

- Someone who signs up to a chat site purely to promote their own goods

- an annoying youtuber

- youtube click bait

Thanks in advance...….. ;)

I will forever cherish these words. I have found that purposefully making a word more stupid than it originally is will generally upset less people than using anything that could be perceived as millenial internet slang. I will get back to you on the topic (probably not).

I think that what actually caused much of the damage here, is the fact that every single one of us has probably been that player at one point of our careers. As facebook would put it:

"I'm in this video and I don't like it." 

Edited by supertzar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Swift Bass said:

I didn't create a profile just to post my annoying youtube video though, I've been a member of Basschat for a long time but unfortunately couldn't remember my login details, so i created a new account. 

What was your previous screen name please?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, supertzar said:

"I'm in this video and I don't like it." 

You'd have to have watched it to say that though.

I've seen 'nuff click bait and YT inhabitants who sit with an instrument just yakking.  We have singers for that job already.  Sorry matey, you (the OP) are redundant.

Edited by SpondonBassed
Clarification of who is redundant.

The vast majority of the places I play if you move around you'll be knocking into something or someone. If I can move around a bit I will, but that's mainly to stop cramp in my legs.

For quite a while, mainly due to vanity, I looked very grumpy when playing. This was almost entirely down to refusing to wear my glasses, hence not being able to see anything properly (including the set list taped to the floor at my feet) and frowning for almost the entire set.

Just one minor point for the OP, if you're in a shoegaze band, staring at your shoes is pretty much part of the gig.

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

Ta.  I may have met you IRL at a Midlands Bass Bash a while back then?

Yeah, I did attend a few before Covid became a thing. It would be great to get another Midlands Bash setup once the guidelines allow. 

• Like 1