Why become a member? ×

Are YOU a Boring Bass Player?

Swift Bass

I'm not a native english speaker so forgive me if I have misunderstood something. I thought there is a definitive difference in "are you" and "you are", so the amount of backside damage in this thread is confusing to me.

The video raises a valid point for discussion. It presents a problem and offers a solution. If you feel somehow attacked by this, then you probably have a not so active stage presence. And that is completely fine as long as you yourself have made peace with it.

I like active shows.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, supertzar said:

I'm not a native english speaker so forgive me if I have misunderstood something. I thought there is a definitive difference in "are you" and "you are", so the amount of backside damage in this thread is confusing to me.

The video raises a valid point for discussion. It presents a problem and offers a solution. If you feel somehow attacked by this, then you probably have a not so active stage presence. And that is completely fine as long as you yourself have made peace with it.

I like active shows.

Or... it's a YouTuber who wants a few more hits on his video so signed up to Basschat just to plug it. 

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Or... it's a YouTuber who wants a few more hits on his video so signed up to Basschat just to plug it. 

Fair enough. Completely different topic though. You would think that an online bass forum would be the perfect place to promote bass related material, but tbh that's not how the internet usually seems to work.

3 minutes ago, odysseus said:

That's my new band name sorted!

Meanwhile.... I would say that most of us are old enough to have found what style suits us playing-wise. 

You're welcome. And you are probably right. If you have found something that suits you, then I don't think this particular video is for you anyway.

As for the alleged plug itself, the production value seems impressive for a channel under 500 followers. Consider me subscribed. But not before I come back inside. There's a cloud on my backyard that needs to be aggressively told its place.

12 minutes ago, supertzar said:

You would think that an online bass forum would be the perfect place to promote bass related material, but tbh that's not how the internet usually seems to work

Like most advertising, it seeks to create insecurity and then offers a cure. Do you welcome parasites into your home?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, supertzar said:

Fair enough. Completely different topic though. You would think that an online bass forum would be the perfect place to promote bass related material, but tbh that's not how the internet usually seems to work.

I think this is covered in the Basschat Ts & Cs...

If you are really that confused.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, supertzar said:

I like active shows.

I doubt many here feel 'attacked' by the post. It's more that the poster has spectacularly misjudged his audience, and clearly hasn't spent enough time looking around BC to appreciate that a community largely comprised of middle aged & often highly experienced musicians, many with 30-40 years of regular gigs behind them, might not be very receptive to his somewhat condescending and judgemental post!

As a result he's been on the receiving end of some suitably tongue-in-cheek ribbing & light-hearted p!sstaking, and interestingly, hasn't been back!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, supertzar said:

The video raises a valid point for discussion. It presents a problem and offers a solution. If you feel somehow attacked by this, then you probably have a not so active stage presenc

The video comes across as "I'm more clever than you" but then discusses something incredibly basic. What's funny is it is boring presentation, taking over 7 minutes to tell someone else how not to be boring with only one major point being made which let's face it is very weak, not interesting or insightful. Contrast his video with Scott Devine's and its worlds away in terms of engaging presentation. There's also a million ways you can talk about being "more interesting" in terms of what you play on your instrument, not how you look, and if the content were like that there may only be two pages of scoffing and not four. 

• Like 4