Why become a member? ×

Are YOU a Boring Bass Player?

Swift Bass

Ironic that the guy in the video seemed to have absolutely no charisma at all.

I try not to be boring but jumping around like a loon would make me look ridiculous, and I think boring is slightly preferable to ridiculous.

• Like 1

Y'see, the problem with this YT vid is that it would probably go down well with an audience composed in the main of peppy, young tyros, e.g. little Beppo gasps, mops brow:  'Must remember to move around, make eye contact, where's Eb on the board?'

Trouble is, the average BassChatter is about 58 years-old and has either (i) played every toilet gig from Penzance to Aberdeen or (ii) never got out of the bedroom (which is fine, btw).

Thusly, exhortations to wiggle around and / or wave to the audience between songs must gain little traction among those who already know it and already do it, or by predisposition won't do it, or don't need to do it because they'll never play out, or through infirmity can't do it.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Does wearing a hat make me less boring?

image.png.1ab5d487427990539b07ddd9155c793d.png

Absolutely. I am a crushingly dull excuse for a human being, people would describe me as a walking void, but for the fact that they only register my existence as a vague sensation of unease followed by the need to bathe.

However, I have, on occasion, donned ornamental headgear whilst performing, and I have never once - not once - been described as a 'boring bass player'.

Stick that up your oh-so-helpful YouTube channel. :)

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, skankdelvar said:

TBPH, the last time I saw a reaction like this it was when I saw a bloke wearing a cravat walk into the hardest pub in Acton. 

I hope everyone was suitably impressed 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Vinny said:

As I usually play with a cymbal stand wedged up me chute while being repeatedly stabbed in the right armpit by a Les Paul headstock you know what you can do with all that smilin' and gaddin' about, quite frankly.

Perfect ...

I remember this one time at a rehearsal, the drummer says to me "Woah, during that last song, it was cool when you did that JJ Burnel style slow-motion karate kick". I corrected him immediately, by pointing out that I was simply stepping over a guitar cable that was dangerously stretched out 2 feet above the floor.

I then convened what was the first ever health & safety meeting - which I am rather proud of. :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

1 minute ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I remember this one time at a rehearsal, the drummer says to me "Woah, during that last song, it was cool when you did that JJ Burnel style slow-motion karate kick". I corrected him immediately, by pointing out that I was simply stepping over a guitar cable that was dangerously stretched out 2 feet above the floor.

I then convened what was the first ever health & safety meeting - which I am rather proud of. :i-m_so_happy:

Did you circulate Minutes of said Meeting to all those attending and the Building's H&S Rep too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Teebs said:

BassChat peoples really don't like YouTube peoples, do they!

:o

I would have to say, on the one hand, they do, and on the other, they don't.

If he'd come on here with a vid about using a particle accelerator to analyse the sonic properties of a slab body Precision we'd have been all 'That's so amazing, like' and sending him boxes of chocolates.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Our church has a pillar specially placed to hide the bass player. We all like that pillar, and it holds up the roof to keep us dry too.

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Never got the hang of the makeup,  and apparently it didn't go with a grey beard.

3 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Thusly, exhortations to wiggle around and / or wave to the audience between songs must gain little traction among those who already know it and already do it, or by predisposition won't do it, or don't need to do it because they'll never play out, or through infirmity can't do it.

Ah, multiple choice.  I pick B - "by predisposition won't do it".  My final answer, I won't phone a friend, and I won't ask the audience (because that's even worse than smiling at them).  

• Haha 2