Why become a member? ×

Are YOU a Boring Bass Player?

Swift Bass

13 minutes ago, Rich said:

I don't give a toss if people think I look boring or not. There are plenty of better looking people at the front who do the hamming-up for the crowd (and very well too). I'm happy to lurk at the back, in the Engine Room, locking it all down. I do try not to look miserable, but leaping around is not my cuppa char.

When playing with the symphony orchestra, looning about the already-cramped stage or pit is not recommended. When subbing for Bootsy Collins, a little bit of strass goes a long way. It all depends; there are no set rules. This is music, and Basschat, not Three-ring-circus-chat. Do (and recommend...) as you wish; I'm a drummer, so... -_-

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Swift Bass said:

Are YOU a Boring Bass Player? 

Find out by watching the video below and see if you tick the box of being a BORING Bass Player?

Don't worry, there's an easy solution to make you a more engaging and entertainment musician. 

Why do I feel like your trying to advertise your YouTube channel.?

• Like 7

I think how many in the band can make a difference to how bass players become a visual interest 

Three or four piece bands can result in the bass player being noticed !

Larger bands gives less opportunities for the bassist to be front of stage 

All in context and if you enjoy being a great bass player and static that’s good as well as being a great bass player moving and engaging with the audience 

Whichever you and the band enjoy and ultimately the audience 

Are you a boring YouTuber?! 

Over seven minutes to say make eye contact with the audience and move around a bit.... The video was boring. 

Also, if its "teach me music" why not talk about making boring bass lines more interesting, that would be relevant, educational and interesting. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Are you a boring YouTuber?! 

Over seven minutes to say make eye contact with the audience and move around a bit.... The video was boring. 

Also, if its "teach me music" why not talk about making boring bass lines more interesting, that would be relevant, educational and interesting. 

Strangely enough, that is something i've already covered and will be releasing in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think that jigging around makes you an interesting bass player, and standing still doesn't make you boring.

What does make a boring bass player is tedious note and rhythm choices, and perhaps more importantly, not Looking Like You Mean It.

Any fool can bounce about uncoolly dad-dancing, but not every fool can stand stock still and absolutely kill it, like say Ron Mael or Kraftwerk!

And any fool can move all over the stage wearing exactly the same clothes as they wear every other day (i.e. tshirt and jeans), but not every fool actually Looks The Part, like Bootsy!

• Like 12

As I usually play with a cymbal stand wedged up me chute while being repeatedly stabbed in the right armpit by a Les Paul headstock you know what you can do with all that smilin' and gaddin' about, quite frankly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

28 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I don't think that jigging around makes you an interesting bass player, and standing still doesn't make you boring.

What does make a boring bass player is tedious note and rhythm choices, and perhaps more importantly, not Looking Like You Mean It.

Any fool can bounce about uncoolly dad-dancing, but not every fool can stand stock still and absolutely kill it, like say Ron Mael or Kraftwerk!

And any fool can move all over the stage wearing exactly the same clothes as they wear every other day (i.e. tshirt and jeans), but not every fool actually Looks The Part, like Bootsy!

I think this is a good post, although I would say it varies very slightly from my own opinion. The performance is important but not as important as what is played. Some people look ridiculous bopping around and some people look cool as you like stood motionless. There are whole genres that made an image from having no image. I guess your instrument should be an extension of your personality. Whatever we choose to do, some folks will think we nailed it and others will argue we should have done something different. Equally sometimes a Dr. Funkenstein masterclass may well be what is called for but there are also songs and genres where an AC/DC level of restraint on the bass is what is called for. 

I am a Jazz musician. I never play on a stage big enough to move around on. And nobody notices the bass player unless s/she catches fire. Well known fact.

Also, eye contact doesn't matter when the whole audience is wearing varifocals.

• Like 7
  • Haha 9

If you are going to go onstage then you need to engage the audience. Having some level of performance skills will certainly help (OK, jazz maybe an exception). 

The ironic thing is that I didn't watch the whole of the video in the OP because... it was very boring...! 

• Haha 1