Why become a member? ×

Are YOU a Boring Bass Player?

Swift Bass

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

No!

Are you?

I am not. 

I believe it's important to move, smile, actually look like you're enjoying yourself or at least playing the part e.g. in a metal band headbanging or acting up to the audience on stage. 

4 minutes ago, Swift Bass said:

I am not. 

I believe it's important to move, smile, actually look like you're enjoying yourself or at least playing the part e.g. in a metal band headbanging or acting up to the audience on stage. 

Same for me, though where in my 21 year old mind I’m leaping all over the stage in reality my 55 year old body is shuffling aimlessly for side to side.

• Like 2
  • Haha 11
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Same for me, though where in my 21 year old mind I’m leaping all over the stage in reality my 55 year old body is shuffling aimlessly for side to side.

Nothing wrong with a good old shuffle.

We all bounce and bop to the music. 

An alternative approach is to have a weird looking bass and really spectacular jacket.  Then you can play like you're having a good think about which horse to back at the 3:30 from Kempton, and people will worship you for it.

WhatsApp-Image-2020-08-15-at-16.09.06.jp

Edited by linear
  • Like 6
  • Haha 7

There is a good point here but more so from an audience point of view.

For many after learning to play they get into a band ...

Next thing is they have to play standing up eek !! 
 Playing without looking at the fretboard is something else that doesn’t seem important when learning but in a band you need to use not only your ears to listen to the complete band sound but watch what’s going on and be part of the visual experience.

Its not always the easiest skill to engage with an audience and playing your instrument is only the first part of being in a band as other things come into play 

Strangely I can play bass more by feel and less looking but when gigging on guitar especially playing lead I was mostly looking at the fretboard in fear of playing something wrong !

I don't give a toss if people think I look boring or not. There are plenty of better looking people at the front who do the hamming-up for the crowd (and very well too). I'm happy to lurk at the back, in the Engine Room, locking it all down. I do try not to look miserable, but leaping around is not my cuppa char.

• Like 7