Why become a member? ×

Advice regarding packing

Hutton

I am thinking about selling my Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout 1X12 Combo. I live in Aberdeen so the market may be rather limited. I am concerned however that if I offer to post the combo then I will have to pack it securely. I would hate anything to happen to the combo in transit and so am seeking advice as to the best the way to pack and courier a combo. Thanks!

Get plenty of cardboard and wrap it around it/tape like a snug fitting box, then do the same with bubble wrap. If possible then find a box that it can go into and fill any space with more bubble wrap/old newspaper etc. If you can’t find a suitable box just do an outer layer of cardboard again. 

• Like 3

Pack it very very well: I had a cab (a Schroeder, as it happens) arrive from Sweden in Fairly Good packaging that had been dropped, and dropped so hard and the magnet had sheared off one of the speakers...a Scout is a heavy, dense lump, it might be an idea to try and put handholds in the box... 😕

• Like 1

If it's a combo, beware of dodgy terms and conditions re cover for breakage etc. A lot of couriers will only insure amps for a max of £200 (regardless of what theyll let you purchase). 

I'm not sure which category a combo would fall into, but worth checking.

How about sending on a pallet? Youd need a pallet, padding, box etc and shrink wrap, but may be better looked after in transit?

• Like 1

How about asking a local music store if they have any combo boxes they would let you have ( or speaker cab box )

You may have to buy it but at least it would be in a secure packaging of sorts 

I’ve shipped a ton of heavy valve amps in the past but always in the original box and mostly using DPD who shops like PMT and Andertons tend to use.

Good luck with your sale 

Thanks for these great replies. I’m nervous about packing and unfortunately  we only have a branch of Kennys in Aberdeen which is obviously closed at the moment. As they never have what I’m looking for I’m not sure if they will have a box. I’ll work out an asking price and try it locally and see what happens.