Why become a member? ×

**SOLD** Musicman Sub 5 with John East active circuit: NOW SOLD**

silverfoxnik

**** NOW SOLD - thanks for all the interest *****

Hi Folks

Well having just bought P-T-P's Lakland LPB DJ5 and with an eye on an RBV as well, sadly, my Musicman Sub 5 with it's specially designed active circuit, has to go.

This has been my main gigging bass since March when I bought it from The Beedster (..one of only a few of Chris's basses that wasn't named :huh:).

In effect, this is a 'concept bass' in that it has been designed to look and sound like a pre Ernie Ball 70's Stingray 4. With that idea in mind, it was stripped down and refinished, black scratchplate added and a specially designed John East circuit 3-band e.q. was commissioned, which was rigourously A/B'd against a 2-band SR4 in order to get the sound right . I bought it partly drawn by it's looks but also because the low B on a SR5 I'd had some years ago was very impressive and I was looking for something similar. And in that respect, this one certainly comes up to the mark with a really focused and tight sounding low B string, which is amazing for a 34" scale bass!

Condition-wise, it's difficult to quantify because of the deliberately refinished retro look, so it's certainly not immaculate by any means. But structurally, it's sound and plays really well!

The sound of this bass is pretty much as it was designed to be - it has that early MM SR4 'zing' and lots of bottom end. But, it can also do a lot more because it has a variable mid control that allows you to focus in on a particular mid frequency and either cut or boost it as you choose.

For all it's strengths and unique qualities, including the fact that it's really comfortable to play and to do long gigs with, I'm selling because I've learnt that I just prefer the sound of passive basses (well, all except my old Wal Pro 2 that is :)). Hence my recent search for a Roscoe Beck V and the acquisition of the Lakland.

So here it is for someone else to enjoy, a unique sounding MM5 that really catches the eye! I bought it for £550, so I'd like to get £500 ovno for it. And considering that the MM Sub range has been recently discontinued by Ernie Ball (because they were too good for the money) and that the John East circuit is worth approx £140 alone, I think that's a pretty fair price, though feel free to make me an offer.

I'm not looking for trades because of recent purchases I'm afraid and I'd rather avoid PayPal and their fees, so cheque or cash on collection is much preferred. I'm based in West Sussex if anyone wants to come and have a play of it first. Comes with a gig bag and I'm happy to ship it wherever, though obviously, that's extra. Like most of you, I'd rather not ship a bass but I always take great care when doing so to ensure the bass arrives in exactly the same condition as it left . Comes with a gig bag and the original MM circuit.

Here's some more pictures:

[url="http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/silverfoxnik/Sub5onstand.jpg"]MM Sub 5[/url]
[url="http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/silverfoxnik/Sub5JRetro.jpg"]MM Sub 5 John East circuit[/url]
[url="http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/silverfoxnik/Sub5onstandheadstock.jpg"]MM Sub 5 Headstock[/url]
[url="http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/silverfoxnik/Sub5closeup.jpg"]MM Sub 5 close up[/url]
[url="http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/silverfoxnik/Sub5back.jpg"]MM Sub 5 back[/url]

It'll be with me at the South East Bash today if anyone who's going wants to check it out. Thanks for looking,

Nik

Edited by silverfoxnik

This is a hell of a bass. I bought an SR5 when I was getting fed up of playing everything in E flat (keyboard players eh), but just couldn't get that Stingray sound out of it. A couple of months later I read some reviews of SUBs, suggesting that they were very close to the real thing, and realising that the SUB 4 and SUB 5 both used the same preamp (and also that the SUB5 had the tradidional 'ray pickguard which I love), thought I'd take a punt on this one. It didn't dissappoint - unlike the two SR5's I owned, this bass sounds like a 'ray. The East preamp was simply the icing on the cake. Very slim and fast neck for a fiver as well. I've owned a Bongo 5, 2 Stingary 5s and this bass, abd IMHO, this was the best of the bunch by some way.
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='47100' date='Aug 18 2007, 11:32 AM']This is a hell of a bass. I bought an SR5 when I was getting fed up of playing everything in E flat (keyboard players eh), but just couldn't get that Stingray sound out of it. A couple of months later I read some reviews of SUBs, suggesting that they were very close to the real thing, and realising that the SUB 4 and SUB 5 both used the same preamp (and also that the SUB5 had the tradidional 'ray pickguard which I love), thought I'd take a punt on this one. It didn't dissappoint - unlike the two SR5's I owned, this bass sounds like a 'ray. The East preamp was simply the icing on the cake. Very slim and fast neck for a fiver as well. I've owned a Bongo 5, 2 Stingary 5s and this bass, abd IMHO, this was the best of the bunch by some way.
Chris[/quote]
Thanks for that endorsement Chris!

By the way, we had a brilliant time at the SE Bash today and it would've been great to see you there...Must make that happen next time!
Whilst I was there I collected the new Lakland DJ5 which is a beauty!!

So, the Sub 5 really does have to go soon..

Cheers

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='47239' date='Aug 18 2007, 10:39 PM']Thanks for that endorsement Chris!

By the way, we had a brilliant time at the SE Bash today and it would've been great to see you there...Must make that happen next time!
Whilst I was there I collected the new Lakland DJ5 which is a beauty!!

So, the Sub 5 really does have to go soon..

Cheers

Nik[/quote]

Bloody typical, I've just come back from a family holiday in the Lakes and I'm skint as a skint thing on a bad money day, and this comes up. Would love to say 'good luck with the sale' but I wouldn't mean it!

Seriously interested in this. Looks great. I love the look of the Stingray, but can't get away with the vast scratchplate and bevelled edges on the 5. Why they couldn't just make the 5 look like a 4 (like this) I don't know.

However I'll need to sell a Jazz fretless first (and there's one here already not shifting) so no doubt this will have gone.

[quote name='JPJ' post='47244' date='Aug 18 2007, 11:11 PM']Bloody typical, I've just come back from a family holiday in the Lakes and I'm skint as a skint thing on a bad money day, and this comes up. Would love to say 'good luck with the sale' but I wouldn't mean it![/quote]
LOL :) Cheers JPJ - appreciate the honesty!

And thanks chaps for the positive comments - you never know JD1, it might still be here by the time you sell your fretless.

Yesterday at the SE Bash, I had a go on Luke Ward's Warwick Streamer 5 that he got from Bassjam. That bass was for sale here and on Bassworld for about 6 months before Luke finally got his hands on it and, having played it yesterday, I can tell you it's an amazing bass!! But for whatever wierd reasons, it took ages and ages to sell??? :wacko:

Hopefully that won't be the case with my Sub5 but you never know...

Nik

Crikey, this one's still here too. Been a bit of a week for my old fivers, and I know I've already said it about my old Status, but someone should grab this while they can. The SUB itself is a great bass, and to be honest plays better than any of the EBMM5s I owned (all of which were considerably more expensive). The neck is very fast for a fiver, and the sound unplugged is really sweet, which is always a good sign. The addition of John East's magic PA turned a good bass into a great bass and as a gigging 5 string bass that's versatile, can take a few knocks and has some mojo I doubt anything at this price or a couple of hundred more would beat it. I had an SR5 and Bongo 5 HS at the same time as I owned this and the SUB was my fave by a long way.
Nik mate, if it doesn't sell here stick it on the bay. You could replace the East preamp with the original and still get £500 for the bass, and then sell on the preamp or. better still, hang onto it for when the active urge returns, as for sure it will.... :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='48964' date='Aug 22 2007, 02:04 PM']Crikey, this one's still here too. Been a bit of a week for my old fivers, and I know I've already said it about my old Status, but someone should grab this while they can. The SUB itself is a great bass, and to be honest plays better than any of the EBMM5s I owned (all of which were considerably more expensive). The neck is very fast for a fiver, and the sound unplugged is really sweet, which is always a good sign. The addition of John East's magic PA turned a good bass into a great bass and as a gigging 5 string bass that's versatile, can take a few knocks and has some mojo I doubt anything at this price or a couple of hundred more would beat it. I had an SR5 and Bongo 5 HS at the same time as I owned this and the SUB was my fave by a long way.
Nik mate, if it doesn't sell here stick it on the bay. You could replace the East preamp with the original and still get £500 for the bass, and then sell on the preamp or. better still, hang onto it for when the active urge returns, as for sure it will.... :)[/quote]
Hi Chris

Thanks for the superlatives on the bass - it is as you say, a very versatile bass!! Yep, it definitely seems like you're the Sir Alex Ferguson of the For Sale forum, with ex-basses (like ex-players) all over the place keeping the wheels of the Basschat For Sale forum turning!!

Funny you should mention it, because I have thought of putting the old circuit back in and Ebaying it at the weekend and then selling the John East circuit seperately here or on Ebay. But I have had two serious enquiries this week, so it may not come to that ..yet?

Not sure whether [i]'the active urge'[/i] will return though....Well, not at my age, anyway :huh:

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='51248' date='Aug 27 2007, 11:57 AM']**** NOW SOLD - Thanks for all the interest *****[/quote]

Cheers again Nik. A new bass every 20 years is a bit slow for most here I know but I'm working on it!!

Now then.......amps :)

[quote name='WalMan' post='52053' date='Aug 28 2007, 11:43 PM']Cheers again Nik. A new bass every 20 years is a bit slow for most here I know but I'm working on it!!

Now then.......amps :)[/quote]
Thanks mate! A pleasure dealing with you and all went according to plan, but can't remember whether it was your Plan A, B or C? :huh:

Considering you've had your Wal for 20 years it's high praise indeed for another bass to be 'allowed' into the Walman stable!! Enjoy the bass....

..As for amps; now there's another story...See you on the 15th all being well,

Nik