Why become a member? ×

Is this a genuine 1978 US Precision?

mot

This has pbass has come into my life since the weekend.  Can anyone offer any advice on finding out how legit it is?

I've been told that it's a genuine 1977-78 USA precision bass (with updated pickups and bridge) that has lived mostly in a case. But I'm honestly baffled as to how a 40 year old bass can look so new,  like a bass that's more like about 10 years old.

The headstock serial number matches with either a 78 US, or a Japanese 94 or 2008- but the headstock says made in USA (and there are no CIJ or MIJ stamps).

Does anyone have any advice on where to find more info about the stamps in the neck pocket and heel? Is there anything else i should be checking? 

Other details, weighs 9.25 pounds glossy neck, truss rod adjustment appears to be in the right place 

The owner is asking just over £1000, the hardware has been upgraded, and at some point someone decided to make it active and created a cavity in the body (active electronics since removed).

Am I missing something really obvious here or is this the bass of my dreams? All opinions welcome

serial.JPG

back.JPG

body.JPG

head stock.JPG

heel.JPG

pocket.JPG

Edited by mot
spelling mistakes

It looks like it's from that era, but bear in mind that the S7 serial numbers were used well past 77 and the S8 serial numbers were used up to the early 80's, so it's probably not strictly from 1978. That battery box gouge would irritate me every single day. As for why it looks in pristine condition? Maybe it's crap and not good to play? It's certainly heavy. Old doesn't necessarily equal good.

• Like 1

I’d want to take the pick guard off to inspect the pot dates and to see how much of the original wiring is left 

Also take pickups out and inspect changes

With pick off out check for body routes 

Actually 9.25 is a reasonable weight for a late 70’s p bass

Bridge is non original 

Edited by gareth
  • Like 2

Looks pretty legit to me. 

Price seems about right for a Precision which has been upgraded with non-original parts. 

If the bass hasn't been played much and has been well looked after, then it doesn't surprise me if it is in good condition. 

As said by Doctor J above, getting an exact date on Fenders from this era as S7, S8 and S9 serial numbers each span multiple years. I have an S9 Precision which could have been made at any time from late 1978 to around 1981. I have never bothered trying to get it dated exactly as it is not from a particularly valuable or collectible era so there is no point in trying to strip and trying to confirm whether the body and neck are dated from a particular year or whether the signatures or stamps can be identified. I'm not going to sell it so I have never bothered checking. 

If the bridge and pickups have already been switched out, I'm not sure there is much use in checking the pots or wiring. I would just be checking whether the pickups are delivering a sound you like and whether the bass needs a decent set up.

My bass plays great and I don't want to risk that by taking it apart with the aim of authenticating it. If I was buying a pre CBS era bass I would maybe however want to check everything. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Maybe it's crap and not good to play? It's certainly heavy. Old doesn't necessarily equal good.

Saying that only the good ones are now beaten up is utter bull. What if someone bought it who didn’t gig but wanted something to cherish at home? Doesn’t mean it’s bad. I’ve got some great basses, One I have gigged with and is 14 years old barely has a mark on it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Saying that only the good ones are now beaten up is utter bull. What if someone bought it who didn’t gig but wanted something to cherish at home? Doesn’t mean it’s bad. I’ve got some great basses, One I have gigged with and is 14 years old barely has a mark on it.

You're absolutely right, but it's an indicator I guess - if it is beaten up it might well be becasue someone couldn't put it down. It might also indicate that it's a cheap beater bass that they can't be bothered to look after! My dad was absolutely meticulous with his instruments - a professional who carefully wiped down his instruments after every gig and practise - some of them are older and me and still look great and they got constant play.

After 40+ years, the 'good ones' will be the ones that were owned by people who generally looked after them and gave the basses a regular set up, rather than how many cosmetic dings the bass has. 

I think that the overdone 'relic jobs' of modern basses give some people unrealistic expectations of how much wear and tear you actually should  expect to see on a 40 year old an instrument when the instrument hasn't been periodically attacked by a belt sander. 

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

Have a read of what I said without defaulting to petty outrage and trying to put words in my mouth which I didn't say. I did not state that "only the good ones are now beaten up", merely advised caution that there could be more to it looking pristine than meets the eye.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I toyed with buying a 78 lefty P about 7 years ago that had a sun faded body but the neck looked brand new. Seems the previous owner either cleaned it a lot or didn't play it much. I didn't buy it but someone from the Forum did (there aren't many of us kack handers about) and he loved it. 

I've also got a 1984 Aria that's been beaten to sh!t that I've resurrected. Whether it was played a lot or just used as a skateboard I'm not sure. 

• Like 2