Why become a member? ×

What, in your opinion, is the minimum 'gold standard' BPM a bassist needs to sustain in order to be acceptable/respectable?

TJ1

I've got my own ideas on this but it would be interesting to see other people's opinions on this momentous,foundation subject.

That is the minimum finger/plectrum string strikes per minute across all/any notes on the fretboard.

• Haha 4

I don't think how many notes you can play in a given time is any kind of indication of ability at all. 

Is a badly timed busy bassist playing a hundred miles an hour all over the fretboard better than one who puts in that perfectly timed single note per bar, whilst locked in with a great drummer to create the heaviest funk groove in town?

Sometimes busy is good, sometimes sparse is good. The bassist who knows when to do what will be the most respected. 

🙂👍

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, Maude said:

I don't think how many notes you can play in a given time is any kind of indication of ability at all. 

Is a badly timed busy bassist playing a hundred miles an hour all over the fretboard better than one who puts in that perfectly timed single note per bar, whilst locked in with a great drummer to create the heaviest funk groove in town?

Sometimes busy is good, sometimes sparse is good. The bassist who knows when to do what will be the most respected. 

🙂👍

This is true, but I believe the ability to be competently busy, to a realistic standard, is key to all round versatility

28 minutes ago, TJ1 said:

I've got my own ideas on this but it would be interesting to see other people's opinions on this momentous,foundation subject.

That is the minimum finger/plectrum string strikes per minute across all/any notes on the fretboard.

You don't half come up with some rubbish.

There isn't one .

Either you are the most judgemental person I have ever heard of or you are the most boring Troll.

Yes ...I am aware that that last bit is judgemental but, in my defence, I've never used Broccoli to play bass with.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

Which actually leads to the next question. 

How many notes per beat are you talking about? 

Playing 16ths at 10bpm would require the same dexterity as single notes at 160bpm. 

Bpm is irrelevant. 

• Like 3

Adrian Davison used to advertise in the back pages of the popular music mags where he promoted himself as "the worlds fastest bass player .... often exceeds 32 notes per second". He then went on to achieve global fame and fortune, but probably not as a bass player

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Let Yngwie appeal to your logic on the matter...

what gets missed from this interview is shortly afterwards when he says "I like it because it's fun".

Fair enough IMO. I don't want to do it - albeit play bass - if it's not fun.