Why become a member? ×

Loud amps at home

SteveXFR

1 hour ago, BassmanPaul said:

Run the pre-amp as you normally do but use the power Amp faders to lower volume to an acceptable level.

That'll work so long as

1 the aforementioned cone breakup isn't required.

2 the amp isn't one of the new breed with classD power stage tuned in breakup. Some cabs can be rewired to 16ohm to help out there but I wouldn't bet on it solving the neighbour problem because those amps are all 600 to 1000w afaik.

10 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Hmmmmm - you shouldn’t need a load box like a guitarist to get break up then - if you like the pre amp being pushed you can dime the gain, but have your master very low, or a boost leading into the preamp and keep the vol low

The theory should work but the volume doesn't quite fade out at minimum, it gets to a point then cuts out completely and that point is pretty loud with the gain cranked. 

3 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

The theory should work but the volume doesn't quite fade out at minimum, it gets to a point then cuts out completely and that point is pretty loud with the gain cranked. 

I get you - what amp is it?

People who have it or have used it may be able to help

I'm guessing the answer is no. Not because you couldn't reduce the acoustic power because you can do that bit easily. You could theoretically put a great big resistor between the amp ans speakers and heat your room with it or you can turn the master volume down with the same effect. The thing is it would be quieter. I suspect what you are actually missing is the volume itself. Loudness itself is exciting, something you can feel especially for bassists. It leads to psychological changes including an adrenaline rush. We've known for years that people almost always prefer loud music to quiet in listening tests. Hi Fi sales staff have long sold their preferred system by just playing it louder in the listening rooms. The other thing that is missing is changing the sound levels also changes the 'tone controls' in our brain. Loud volumes emphasise bass in particular but change the sound balance across the whole spectrum.

intro_to_sound_recording488x.png

This shows the sensitivity of our hearing from the threshold of hearing at the bottom to 100dB, roughly the level on stage for a rock band. The steep rise in the bass frequencies at low sound levels shows just how much bass boost you'd need at lower sound levels to match the much flatter curve at band levels. Looking at these curves you can see that to get the same sound balance at low levels you need to boost the bass a lot and boost the treble a little and maybe increase the mid range suckout at around 3kHz if you have  a parametric mid.

Just turn down, eq until you get close to something you like and accept it won't be perfect. If you have a high pass filter use it as the subsonics are what really annoy the neighbours and if it still isn't loud enough for you use headphones. Meanwhile console yourself with the thought that your hearing is getting a chance to recover with a year off gig levels of sound. Roll on the return to live music.

• Like 3

The problem with loud bass sounds is often structure borne rather than air borne noise/vibration. It travels through floors, joists, etc into the walls and annoys those living adjacent and there isn't a lot you can do about it. Maybe move into a detached property?

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, garyt said:

Get a decent practice amp.  Move to a detached house.  Practice in your shed.  

Im rebuilding my garage and intend to sound proof it. Trying to use as much reclaimed material as possible though and getting held up with the windows. It'll be good when finished 

My neighbours are part deaf but even with the super thick 1920's walls it still rattles their light fittings. They'll never complain but I don't like to push it. 

There are plenty of good load boxes about, they’re not that cheap though. I’ve got the 8ohm Palmer Power Pad, as one if my few gripes about my Multiamp is it doesn’t turn down low enough, but they’re often used for valve amps for recording or just home use. Some have a DI out which can be handy for recording.

Just google “speaker attenuator load box”