Why become a member? ×

How come The Beatles are rarely ever played on the radio?

10 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Surely Radio 2 has always existed to accommodate those left behind by Radio 1?

It has, but when I first made the move from R1 to R2 the gap did appear wider than it is these days. I initially found it a bit geriatric, but maybe that was just how things were then, all racing results and ‘Sing something simple’. I think nowadays R2 appeals to a younger demographic - I know quite a few people in their early 20’s who listen regularly. Maybe this is also due these young uns having a wider musical appreciation too?

Edited by casapete

31 minutes ago, Richard R said:

While I don't disagree with this,  my 20 year old daughter seems to know a lot of 80s stuff for example, I find it very odd.  1981 was 40 years ago. Radio 1 didn't play Glen Miller in the 1980's in pursuit of youth.🤔

My 11 year old daughter has been listening to some 80's stuff and quite likes Blondie, after Miley Cyrus covered one of their songs. I think it's don to Spotify.

R2 is way to insipid for my tastes, basically it try's to cater for a wide range of tastes, other stations are a lot more audience targeted, but R2 is more than just a music station, a lot of people tune in to listen to the DJ's more than the music

4 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

…but R2 is more than just a music station, a lot of people tune in to listen to the DJ's more than the music

IMO there's way too much talking on nearly all radio. However I believe that this is tied to the conditions of the PRS licences which are priced according to the amount of music played, and therefore more talk equals less music and hence a cheaper licence fee.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

IMO there's way too much talking on nearly all radio. However I believe that this is tied to the conditions of the PRS licences which are priced according to the amount of music played, and therefore more talk equals less music and hence a cheaper licence fee.

I agree but not all people do, and if that's all you want there's the commercial stations as well as the streaming services like Spotify, Radio 2 is offering something a bit different, not my cup of tea but I understand why they do it.

Not sure about the PRS fee's, lot's of stations play nothing else but music and judging by the reported salaries of the DJ's it probably costs more than wall to wall music

24 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I want to hear more banter and less music. I tune into Planet Rock in the weekdays, while I'm working, mostly for the chat while I turn down the music 90% of the time. As for Radio 2 the only presenter I bother with is Ken Bruce. 

If the lack of Beatleage on the wireless is due to overplaying in the past plus a shift in Radio 2's listener demographic it'd be great to hear much less of the Rolling Stones, like nothing perhaps!

Edited by Barking Spiders

17 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Michael Jackson's estate owns the rights, no?

No.  Jackson did own them as he bought ATV music that also included the rights to many other songs including Northern Music,  but he sold 50% of his share in ATV to Sony in the 90s. In 2016 Sony bought the remaining 50% of ATV from the "estate" of MJ.  However McCartney managed to buy back Northern Songs from Sony "for an undisclosed sum".  So Macca owns all the rights to the Beatles catalog.

Edited by DrBike

5 minutes ago, DrBike said:

No.  Jackson did own them as he bought ATV music that also included the rights to many other songs including Northern Music,  but he sold 50% of his share in ATV to Sony in the 90s. In 2016 Sony bought the remaining 50% of ATV from the "estate" of MJ.  However McCartney managed to buy back Northern Songs from Sony "for an undisclosed sum".  So Macca owns all the rights to the Beatles catalog.

Which "rights" exactly are being talked about here? Just the publishing? Or the mechanicals as well?

39 minutes ago, 4000 said:

This, 100%. 

Not quite the OP, but I was wondering the other day why Laurel and Hardy never get shown on the telly. 

I'd say that in general it's because comedy dates even more quickly than music. Not just L & H but the Goon Show, Monty Python and loads of other stuff from the 50s-80s don't tickle the funny bones of younger generations

Just now, Woodinblack said:

I thought that is what the purpose of it was, not something I listen to, I am not old enough!

I thought that when I first listened to Radio 2! At 63 I’m possibly getting past their target demographic now, but where to next? 🤣

4 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

this is probably it, most stations are playing 80's onwards stuff in their pursuit of yoof, I'm of an age that grew up with the Beatles and listen to very little radio these days, with the exception of Gold I don't know of any stations that cater, musically, for the over 60's

That's the problem right there. Surely music is music is music. If you considered the Beatles influenced either directly or indirectly almost every artist since their demise it is an odd situation. My kids still cant believe the Beatles did so much, and broke so much new ground, in such a short space of time.

Any love on here for 6 Music? I sometimes listen at home, but as most of my radio time is spent on the road, my old FM car radio won’t do it. Suppose I should get a DAB unit really. There are some good things on 6, particularly Radcliffe and Maconie for me. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, casapete said:

Any love on here for 6 Music? I sometimes listen at home, but as most of my radio time is spent on the road, my old FM car radio won’t do it. Suppose I should get a DAB unit really. There are some good things on 6, particularly Radcliffe and Maconie for me. 

6 Music is my music station of choice when I'm in the car. I find it a good way to discover new music.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, casapete said:

Yep, if I have any BBC station on it'll most likely be this one or Radio 4. Having said that, I find Mary Anne Hobbs pretty grating.

And they sometimes play the Beatles.

Edited by upside downer
missed a bit

38 minutes ago, casapete said:

The problem with most of the national music radio stations is that they are great for a couple of weeks, and then you start to realise that you are hearing the same songs over and over again, and you have to have a break from whichever station you have been listening to until the playlist has been (slightly) refreshed.

1 hour ago, casapete said:

I enjoy Steve Lamaq as well

edit, and I did hear him play a Beatles track 😃

Edited by PaulWarning

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

The problem with most of the national music radio stations is that they are great for a couple of weeks, and then you start to realise that you are hearing the same songs over and over again, and you have to have a break from whichever station you have been listening to until the playlist has been (slightly) refreshed.

This, exactly!  I just now switched from Magic, when they played Shallow by Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga, once too often.    However, they often seem to play You're my First, My Last, My Everything by Barry White at the start of a Monday evening, which I like!