Why become a member? ×

NBD - Ibanez EHB Short Multi Scale Headless

Marvin_

The + 6db trick was mentioned in relation to the Bartolini and preamp on the Affirma bass. The suggestion was that you can up the gain on the preamp and drop the pickup right down to improve its tone in the mids (tend to sound a bit harsh stock setup). I have since tried this on my Affirma and it has actually improved the tone to my ears. I don’t know if this is applicable to all Ibanez active basses. The Affirma only has 2 band EQ, whereas most of the SRs and I see the EHBs have three band EQ, so possibly a different preamp. Also it is a different model Bartolini in the Affirma. I guess somebody is going to have to buy one and open it up to have a look😏.

Edited by Obrienp

On 22/05/2021 at 18:55, Marvin_ said:

Thought I'd give an update on the short EHB. I have become less and less enamoured by the Bartolinis, a position which was confirmed when I picked up my old Hagstrom for the first time since getting the EHB and being blown away by how much better it sounded. It had more punch, and that kind of 'woody' sound that I associate with bass, where you get an inkling that the sound is coming from a metal string vibrating, not just a noise. That also highlighted some other shortcomings, so I switched to a set of D'Addario (my general string preference) Pro Steels to get some brightness, and then played around more with the EQ. I also raised the action a touch and lowered the pickups to try and get some clarity. I generally found a cut to the mids helped the sound, but this time I found that boosting the bass and treble and leaving the mids centred got a better sound, but still just muddy and woolly. Playing with a pick gets the kind of tone I wanted from fingers - with a pick it sounded decent (although not as good as the Hagstrom still).

So, fast forward to today when a set of Aguilar DCB-D4 pickups arrived. They're technically 6 string pickups, but blades, so work well with the 5 string. LowEndLobster on YouTube did the swap with the long scale EHB1005 and there are some good comparisons on his channel. It's night and day. It genuinely makes me wonder why they chose the Bartolinis for the bass as they're clearly divisive at best. By selecting such a dull/muddy sounding pickup, it limits your market, and your tonal options so much more than the opposite surely?

Anyway, expensive as they are, it's required I feel now I've tried them. The Nordstrands in the higher end EHBs also seem to be well liked, and to my ears sound good too (prefer the Aguilars a little - LowEndLobster did a back to back to back of the three in EHBs).

udjiAYih.png

If you don’t mind me asking where did you get the Aguilar pick ups from? I can’t seem to find them anywhere 🤔

10 hours ago, Foureyes said:

If you don’t mind me asking where did you get the Aguilar pick ups from? I can’t seem to find them anywhere 🤔

I bought them from EES Music in Ipswich, but I think I had the last set in stock though. I did see they're also available at Bass Direct.

On 21/07/2021 at 10:07, supertzar said:

Learned a trick from talkbass ehb thread. Ibanez preamps are wired to be around the same volume on the active/passive. There is an option on the preamp to move some wires to a different plug and it adds around +6db of gain to the active side. The voicing will be a little different but it should add some clarity to the bartolinis that people seem to be wanting. I'm yet to try this with my srms805 but talkbassers have been having super positive experiences with it. Gasing hard for the short scale ehb...

OK, for what it is worth, I bought the 4 string version of this. The pickups are the same as the 5 (as far as I can see) and the same controls, so I am assuming the preamp is the same. I had a look under the cover on mine and yes, there is an empty port labelled +6db. With the preamp engaged, it seems marginally louder than in passive mode, so I won’t be using the 6db boost but I guess you could use it and lower the pickups. Personally, I like the tone as it is.

Oh the balance is one of the best bits - no neck dive as there's no heavy headstock off the end. Even if it weren't a headless bass, the long upper horn places the upper strap button a long way up the neck (about the 10th-11th fret). I've thought a lot about the lower strap button, whether the fact it's moved upwards would alleviate or exacerbate neck dive (although there isn't any - it'll sit naturally at whichever angle you want), and haven't reached a conclusion on that, except that it doesn't matter on this bass. I guess that it might alleviate neck climb?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Foureyes said:

I do agree that the Bartolini pick ups need swapping out. I’ll get some Aguilar DCBs order as soon as funds allow! 

What is it that you don’t like about the Bartolinis and what will the Aguilars bring that the Barts lack? The reason I ask is that I recently bought the 4 string version of this bass and I like the sound the Barts make but they have been so widely criticised that I am beginning to doubt my judgement. I kind of baulk at paying out £200 on replacement pickups on a bass that cost £800 (or £1k in the case of the 5 string). Will the Aguilars really be that much better? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

What is it that you don’t like about the Bartolinis and what will the Aguilars bring that the Barts lack? The reason I ask is that I recently bought the 4 string version of this bass and I like the sound the Barts make but they have been so widely criticised that I am beginning to doubt my judgement. I kind of baulk at paying out £200 on replacement pickups on a bass that cost £800 (or £1k in the case of the 5 string). Will the Aguilars really be that much better? 

From the comparisons I’ve listened to yes. I can’t put my finger on what it is but they do sound a lot better. It’s also personal preference, I like Aguilar pick ups. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with the barts. Just not my cup of tea. Although I’m not sure they deal with the low b very well. But then that maybe because I haven’t played it at any decent volume yet. 

If you like the stock pick ups don’t doubt yourself because of other peoples opinions :)  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Obrienp said:

If you like the sound then it doesn't matter what anyone else things, it is your bass. Only correct faults you have!

Yep, you guys are right. No need to spend cash on upgrades, if I am happy enough with it stock: with the exception of the control knobs that look like the tops of toothpaste tubes!  However, I have only played it through my valve amp and 2 Barefaced One10s, which I think will make anything sound pretty good. I am wondering whether my more transparent sounding class D heads will reveal inadequacies I haven’t noticed yet. Only one way to find out….

• Like 1

On 28/07/2021 at 21:51, Obrienp said:

As has been said, if you like the Barts it’s all good.

Can’t speak for the Ibbys, but I’ve had Barts in several (very expensive) basses and the only one they worked in was my Pedulla, possibly because it was all maple, so bright in the first place. I just find Barts generally too dark. I like a big, twangy, full range tone and IME they just aren’t great for that. 

• Like 1

On 22/05/2021 at 18:55, Marvin_ said:

Thought I'd give an update on the short EHB. I have become less and less enamoured by the Bartolinis, a position which was confirmed when I picked up my old Hagstrom for the first time since getting the EHB and being blown away by how much better it sounded. It had more punch, and that kind of 'woody' sound that I associate with bass, where you get an inkling that the sound is coming from a metal string vibrating, not just a noise. That also highlighted some other shortcomings, so I switched to a set of D'Addario (my general string preference) Pro Steels to get some brightness, and then played around more with the EQ. I also raised the action a touch and lowered the pickups to try and get some clarity. I generally found a cut to the mids helped the sound, but this time I found that boosting the bass and treble and leaving the mids centred got a better sound, but still just muddy and woolly. Playing with a pick gets the kind of tone I wanted from fingers - with a pick it sounded decent (although not as good as the Hagstrom still).

So, fast forward to today when a set of Aguilar DCB-D4 pickups arrived. They're technically 6 string pickups, but blades, so work well with the 5 string. LowEndLobster on YouTube did the swap with the long scale EHB1005 and there are some good comparisons on his channel. It's night and day. It genuinely makes me wonder why they chose the Bartolinis for the bass as they're clearly divisive at best. By selecting such a dull/muddy sounding pickup, it limits your market, and your tonal options so much more than the opposite surely?

Anyway, expensive as they are, it's required I feel now I've tried them. The Nordstrands in the higher end EHBs also seem to be well liked, and to my ears sound good too (prefer the Aguilars a little - LowEndLobster did a back to back to back of the three in EHBs).

udjiAYih.png

That looks awesome. What a colour! 

• Like 1

Since I installed the Aguilars I've much preferred them to the standard Bartolini pickups, but found the bridge to be less interesting (less volume, much less bass end, usually sounded pretty good with a pick though), always gravitating to the neck pickup. Turns out I had done a crap job of balancing the two heights, and after raising the bridge pickup and lowering the neck a smidge, both sound ace now, and give that broad range of tones you'd hope from a two pickup setup. Favourite location is biased about 20% towards one end or the other depending on what I'm playing. I did this setup a couple of weeks ago, and the difference was sufficient to force me to tweak the Two Notes Le Bass and DAW cab sim.

Finally sorted one of the things many don't like, the control knobs. Thomann have a set of black metal knobs with gold markers that are exactly the right size for the stacked knobs (4 and 6mm if I remember correctly - 6 and 8mm now I've checked. rather than the larger ones).

IMG20210806110737.jpg

Edited by Marvin_
Amended knob ID size
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Decision made.

I'm going to see what I can sell to raise the funds for the 5 string version.

I've been here ready to go for months or so after making the same decision but no one is buying my SRH505 or GWB1!

• 2 weeks later...

Great review! After some time with it how are you finding the electronics? I've had mine about as long as you've had yours and recently been out gigging with it with things opening up again. I was hoping it would be a "jack of all trades" but sadly doesn't seem to the case with these pickups. Surprisingly I find it seems to do the "vintage" and "old school" thing alot better than the more "modern" and "hifi" tones. I was thinking of swapping the Bartolinis out for some aguilar DCBs. Would love to hear what you think after a few months of owning! Thanks. 

On 03/08/2021 at 20:11, Marvin_ said:

Since I installed the Aguilars I've much preferred them to the standard Bartolini pickups, but found the bridge to be less interesting (less volume, much less bass end, usually sounded pretty good with a pick though), always gravitating to the neck pickup. Turns out I had done a crap job of balancing the two heights, and after raising the bridge pickup and lowering the neck a smidge, both sound ace now, and give that broad range of tones you'd hope from a two pickup setup. Favourite location is biased about 20% towards one end or the other depending on what I'm playing. I did this setup a couple of weeks ago, and the difference was sufficient to force me to tweak the Two Notes Le Bass and DAW cab sim.

Finally sorted one of the things many don't like, the control knobs. Thomann have a set of black metal knobs with gold markers that are exactly the right size for the stacked knobs (4 and 6mm if I remember correctly rather than the larger ones).

IMG20210806110737.jpg

Do you find you can get some more "modern" tones out of the aguilars? I was hoping it would be my "jack of all trades bass" but can't seem to get the top end to sparkle. 

3 hours ago, Mycuul said:

Great review! After some time with it how are you finding the electronics? I've had mine about as long as you've had yours and recently been out gigging with it with things opening up again. I was hoping it would be a "jack of all trades" but sadly doesn't seem to the case with these pickups. Surprisingly I find it seems to do the "vintage" and "old school" thing alot better than the more "modern" and "hifi" tones. I was thinking of swapping the Bartolinis out for some aguilar DCBs. Would love to hear what you think after a few months of owning! Thanks. 

I think for the most 'hifi' sound the Nordstrands seem to be the preferred setup. Apparently, because they make the pickups for the EHB15xx series, getting a set is just about emailing them and they'll make you some. The Aguilars do me. I've just sold my Hagstrom Swede as with the Aguilars, it does more or less everything I need it to. I don't play any ultra modern hifi type stuff though, and also play only for my own amusement, so your mileage may vary. I think the Aguilars do every style I play (from the Beatles to Green Day via Motorhead and Led Zeppelin) better than the Bartolinis.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Put steel rounds on it. Always does the trick.

I think it certainly helps, but not enough in my view to save the Bartolinis...

• Like 1

On 15/08/2021 at 22:57, Marvin_ said:

I think for the most 'hifi' sound the Nordstrands seem to be the preferred setup. Apparently, because they make the pickups for the EHB15xx series, getting a set is just about emailing them and they'll make you some. The Aguilars do me. I've just sold my Hagstrom Swede as with the Aguilars, it does more or less everything I need it to. I don't play any ultra modern hifi type stuff though, and also play only for my own amusement, so your mileage may vary. I think the Aguilars do every style I play (from the Beatles to Green Day via Motorhead and Led Zeppelin) better than the Bartolinis.

I think it certainly helps, but not enough in my view to save the Bartolinis...

Thank you, I think I'll email nordstrand as they do sound like what I want and I have a nordstrand angled pup in my P bass and it's great. Thanks alot for the insight!