Why become a member? ×

NBD - Ibanez EHB Short Multi Scale Headless

Marvin_

4 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Ibby website says 18mm string spacing at the bridge.

How much does it weigh please?

I really want one but with my issues I don't buy anything over 7.5lb anymore.

I was just taking the measurements of the one in front of me. The saddles are seemingly centred and I measured the spacing (centre to centre) at 17mm on the B to E. Checking the others now and they vary a little between 17 and just under 18mm.

As said in the OP it's 3.3kg, or ~7.3lb.

2 hours ago, Skylar12 said:

Great in depth review 👍sounds like a great alternative to strandbergs, short scale too and cheaper 

Thanks Skylar - exactly what I thought. I do wonder whether Ibanez would have bothered with this range if Strandberg didn't exist though...

• Like 1

Can I be a pain and ask about the low B?

I've just seen the GAK YouTube demo for these (the one where he can't pronounce bartolini 🤦). While it's not the best demo, the low B sounded terribly muddy and floppy.

It's given me serious anxiety that a short scale 5er maybe isn't the best shout!

17 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

I've just seen the GAK YouTube demo for these (the one where he can't pronounce bartolini 🤦). While it's not the best demo, the low B sounded terribly muddy and floppy.

It's given me serious anxiety that a short scale 5er maybe isn't the best shout!

I have the Mezzo 5 and with the right strings it’s as good as my stingray 5. The stock 130 is a bit light though. 135 is better.

I have a 4 as well tuned to C standard and it’s also excellent.

On 14/03/2021 at 11:03, fretmeister said:

I have the Mezzo 5 and with the right strings it’s as good as my stingray 5. The stock 130 is a bit light though. 135 is better.

I have a 4 as well tuned to C standard and it’s also excellent.

That's reassuring, after having a look on the ibanez website they look like the same scale.  Those Mezzo's look tremendous for the money!

On 13/03/2021 at 17:23, thisisswanbon said:

I think the string tension's fine, but the pickups are more of an acquired taste. They're at the warmer/muddier end of the spectrum it seems (adjust to preference). To me they seemed clearer than pickups I was used to, but then again my first proper bass was an Epiphone Allen Woody with flat wounds (and I've only owned humbucker-equipped basses until now), so read into that what you will. The GAK demo seemed to focus on styles of play that were probably not to these pickup's advantage (although I felt the demo was somewhat undeserving of the tirade of abuse in the comments section!). I think with a little bass and mid removed on the active EQ they're a little bit clearer to my (untrained) ear, but they're never going to be ultra-crisp.

One advantage of the shorter scale is that basically any standard scale/34" string should fit fine. I've found the stock D'Addario strings to be like every standard-supplied set: a bit rough feeling for some reason, so I've just ordered a set of Elixir 45-135 strings. I did a spreadsheet normalising string tension for the actual scale lengths used on the EHB (using a GHS 'Unit Weight' formula) across most brands who declare string tension (D'Addario, Elixir, GHS, RotoSound and Thomastik). It was surprising how different the tensions would be across ostensibly similar strings, even from the same manufacturer. For example, the Elixir .135 B string in nickel has 14.7kg of tension vs 13.5kg in stainless. GHS Progressives in a .126 would only be 9.97kg of tension, vs 13.5kg for a .126 Bass Boomer.

On 16/03/2021 at 12:10, Marvin_ said:

I think the string tension's fine, but the pickups are more of an acquired taste. They're at the warmer/muddier end of the spectrum it seems (adjust to preference). To me they seemed clearer than pickups I was used to, but then again my first proper bass was an Epiphone Allen Woody with flat wounds (and I've only owned humbucker-equipped basses until now), so read into that what you will. The GAK demo seemed to focus on styles of play that were probably not to these pickup's advantage (although I felt the demo was somewhat undeserving of the tirade of abuse in the comments section!). I think with a little bass and mid removed on the active EQ they're a little bit clearer to my (untrained) ear, but they're never going to be ultra-crisp.

One advantage of the shorter scale is that basically any standard scale/34" string should fit fine. I've found the stock D'Addario strings to be like every standard-supplied set: a bit rough feeling for some reason, so I've just ordered a set of Elixir 45-135 strings. I did a spreadsheet normalising string tension for the actual scale lengths used on the EHB (using a GHS 'Unit Weight' formula) across most brands who declare string tension (D'Addario, Elixir, GHS, RotoSound and Thomastik). It was surprising how different the tensions would be across ostensibly similar strings, even from the same manufacturer. For example, the Elixir .135 B string in nickel has 14.7kg of tension vs 13.5kg in stainless. GHS Progressives in a .126 would only be 9.97kg of tension, vs 13.5kg for a .126 Bass Boomer.

Thanks for the great detail! That's been really helpful, I may have to rethink my choice of strings when it arrives! I've looked at the pictures you've posted more times than I'd like to admit, the anticipation is killing me haha. Hope you're still enjoying the bass!

Well I fitted the Elixirs last night, adjusted the string spacing (went to 18.5mm across all strings), truss rod and intonation to suit. Not had the chance to play yet (it was very late when I finished the setup). On face value I could tell little difference acoustically so first impressions will have to wait until I can turn up the volume.

What I can say is that fitting new strings is straightforward, Ibanez has a brief Youtube video which explains it very well. I suspect that a B string over a .130 really might want to be tapered as the slot the ball end passes through is really not that wide and the early out windings could get caught (it's bloody close with the Elixir .135 - possibly just touching). Equally I'm not sure how much larger a string than a .135 could reaslistically fit in the headstock end.

All adjustments were easy to make though, and the overall impression was of a well thought out set of adjustments and quality hardware. Only other things to watch for when changing strings is to retighten the headstock grub screws after tuning (my 1st string slipped when I was stretching the string once at tuned tension), and to properly 'break' the strings over the saddles as the breakover angle is quite high and even at tuned tension the strings didn't initially want to straighten out.

Edited by Marvin_
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd give an update on the short EHB. I have become less and less enamoured by the Bartolinis, a position which was confirmed when I picked up my old Hagstrom for the first time since getting the EHB and being blown away by how much better it sounded. It had more punch, and that kind of 'woody' sound that I associate with bass, where you get an inkling that the sound is coming from a metal string vibrating, not just a noise. That also highlighted some other shortcomings, so I switched to a set of D'Addario (my general string preference) Pro Steels to get some brightness, and then played around more with the EQ. I also raised the action a touch and lowered the pickups to try and get some clarity. I generally found a cut to the mids helped the sound, but this time I found that boosting the bass and treble and leaving the mids centred got a better sound, but still just muddy and woolly. Playing with a pick gets the kind of tone I wanted from fingers - with a pick it sounded decent (although not as good as the Hagstrom still).

So, fast forward to today when a set of Aguilar DCB-D4 pickups arrived. They're technically 6 string pickups, but blades, so work well with the 5 string. LowEndLobster on YouTube did the swap with the long scale EHB1005 and there are some good comparisons on his channel. It's night and day. It genuinely makes me wonder why they chose the Bartolinis for the bass as they're clearly divisive at best. By selecting such a dull/muddy sounding pickup, it limits your market, and your tonal options so much more than the opposite surely?

Anyway, expensive as they are, it's required I feel now I've tried them. The Nordstrands in the higher end EHBs also seem to be well liked, and to my ears sound good too (prefer the Aguilars a little - LowEndLobster did a back to back to back of the three in EHBs).

udjiAYih.png

• Like 6

I thought I'd be the first person to buy this as it it almost what I would specify as a custom. I just wish it gave with something like the Nord's or my actual preference Aguilar from out of the box.

I'm still waiting to pull the trigger and maybe to just got for the bass and upgrade too...

I cancelled my order and went with an ehb1005ms in seafoam green in the end due to delivery delays... Same bass just longer and a slightly less cool finish, I think I may be experiencing the same thing with my Bartholin's as you! At first they sounded decent to me, but now just muddy and lacking any real depth.

What quality was it that made you decide to go with Aguilar over nordstrands? Im a big fan of most Aguilar gear, so am tempted to take the same route...

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Need? 🤔

Sorry, forgot where I am 👍🎉

Well, I do need a 5 string to place the soon to be on sale Stingray 5 I have.

So yes. Kind of. I do have another 5 but that has flats on it and I could do with a roundwound option without changing strings.

Ahem.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2021 at 21:51, Mikey D said:

I thought I'd be the first person to buy this as it it almost what I would specify as a custom. I just wish it gave with something like the Nord's or my actual preference Aguilar from out of the box.

I'm still waiting to pull the trigger and maybe to just got for the bass and upgrade too...

I guess even at ~£1200 for the bass and pickup upgrade it's still a damn sight less expensive than a custom job, and the rest of the bass is pretty damn compelling. That's why I decided to go with the pickup upgrade. Whilst expensive, what else actually competes with this model of EHB?

21 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

I cancelled my order and went with an ehb1005ms in seafoam green in the end due to delivery delays... Same bass just longer and a slightly less cool finish, I think I may be experiencing the same thing with my Bartholin's as you! At first they sounded decent to me, but now just muddy and lacking any real depth.

What quality was it that made you decide to go with Aguilar over nordstrands? Im a big fan of most Aguilar gear, so am tempted to take the same route...

Honestly, I watched the LowEndLobster videos comparing the Aguilar to the Nordstrand big splits (IIRC that's what are in the EHB15 series) and just preferred the Aguilars. As stupid as it sounds I just preferred the fact they sounded more like the bass sounds I hear in the music I like to listen to. I guess he feels the same as he sold his EHB15xx and kept the Aguilar swapped EBH10xx. It also helps that the DCBs are off the shelf (technically a 6 string pickup, but they're blades so it doesn't seem to matter - I did look at the Big Blade Nordstrands, but was worried that the blades are split into sections and therefore it might not work as well) whilst the correct Big Split Nordstrands would be a custom order from Nordstrand (putting a 5 string pickup in the P4 sized 6 string body and adjusting the pole pieces to match the installation angle if necessary).

I think it's still reasonable value, but I just can't fathom Ibanez's reasoning to go with the Bartolinis. At first I thought they sounded good, but I guess that with these, familiarity breeds contempt.

I should also note that the ProSteel strings are a great improvement on the Elixirs in terms of feel, I find them easier to play, although I'm not sure why, possibly they're slightly tauter, but they're just better all round. I went with the hybrid/custom set of .45 - .135, and despite not being tapered at the ball end, the .135 fits very well at the bridge/tuner whereas the Elixir was marginal.

It's also worth saying the low B string is considerably more useful now - although that's not so much to do with the string or tension, but the Aguilar actually conveys a clear defined note, not some general noise, which made me shy away from it somewhat.

Edited by Marvin_
String gauge correction

51 minutes ago, Marvin_ said:

As stupid as it sounds I just preferred the fact they sounded more like the bass sounds I hear in the music I like to listen to.

That doesn't sound stupid!

51 minutes ago, Marvin_ said:

I think it's still reasonable value, but I just can't fathom Ibanez's reasoning to go with the Bartolinis. At first I thought they sounded good, but I guess that with these, familiarity breeds contempt.

I can't make sense of that either

I do have a blade spare, might be worth giving that a try.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody tried the four string version of this?

I have been having serious GAS but the comments about the Barts are dulling my fervour a bit; also the colour options are a bit euch IMO.  One part of me is saying that the Bart sound (as described) might be fine for my two bands: Dad rock and Blues but do I really want to buy another one trick pony?

On 18/07/2021 at 19:04, thisisswanbon said:

Lee is a frighteningly good player! Nathan is great too, but Lee is next level, it's crazy that he's only on the andertons channel while other far less capable players make millions from it...

I think he was a pro player for a while but through a bout of ill health that aspect took a bit of a back seat.
I agree though, his playing is incredible!

Eude

On 15/07/2021 at 11:56, Obrienp said:

Has anybody tried the four string version of this?

I have been having serious GAS but the comments about the Barts are dulling my fervour a bit; also the colour options are a bit euch IMO.  One part of me is saying that the Bart sound (as described) might be fine for my two bands: Dad rock and Blues but do I really want to buy another one trick pony?

Learned a trick from talkbass ehb thread. Ibanez preamps are wired to be around the same volume on the active/passive. There is an option on the preamp to move some wires to a different plug and it adds around +6db of gain to the active side. The voicing will be a little different but it should add some clarity to the bartolinis that people seem to be wanting. I'm yet to try this with my srms805 but talkbassers have been having super positive experiences with it. Gasing hard for the short scale ehb...

An ideal pre-amp should be completely transparent, to the point where you should not be able to tell the difference between it being on and off when everything is flat, assuming you have good leads and a reasonable amplifier.

What would be the advantage of the pre-amp having a 6dB gain, rather than, say, turning the volume up? It gives you a bass you can't switch to passive without changing your settings, or change basses live (like having a G&L!) I have never heard anyone complaining that the problem they had with the barts was because they are too quiet - the volume is fine on them, just that the pickups are a bit bland.

I think if the EHBs had nords, I would have got one by now.