Why become a member? ×

Anybody know where to get Fret slots cut ?

mybass

I want to get a fingerboard with a 33" scale with the fret slots cut. Does anyone know of a UK (preferably) place that does the 'scales'. There are a couple on Ebay but they stick to long and short scale for bass only.

1 minute ago, Andyjr1515 said:

In normal times, David Dyke offers a c.£10 fret cutting service with options for a number of scale lengths on blanks bought from them - although I suspect that this service is suspended until Covid lockdown is lifted...

Ah - correction...not 33"

22 hours ago, bertbass said:

I'd do it myself.  Plenty of youtube videos and of course in the build threads right here in the build diaries.

Fret positions can be found here, https://www.stewmac.com/fretcalculator.html

Yes I use the Stewmacs thanks....I do cut fret slots by hand but I wondered if there was anyone with a 'spot on' setup who already cuts them as a business so I could call and order same week type of thing.....and in 33" scale, which none of the current people I find will do due to having to set up a new jig.

15 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I’ve a feeling using a 35” slotting template and skipping the first fret will give you very near to 33” scale. I’ll have a look later and let you know.

You are absolutely right, Jez...      Great thought! 

It would make it 33.036", that is, less than a mm longer.  

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

That is exactly what I did to measure the fan on my new 33-35” 5 build. I have a slotting template that is 35 and 34”, used that on the B and A string and the 35 less 1 fret on the G to get the correct fan. The difference was 0.5mm on the 1st fret and pretty much zero on the 24th. Well within the margin of error.

So if you do not want to slot yourself, get a 35” 24 fret board. Cut off the first (well don’t forget the nut!) and the last and you have a 33” 22 fret fretboard. Presto!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I’ve got a 35” and 34” slotting template and by skipping the first or second frets you can get very close to 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 and 35” scales. 

6 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I’ve a feeling using a 35” slotting template and skipping the first fret will give you very near to 33” scale. I’ll have a look later and let you know.

Really?

I've used the StewMac Fret Calculator for 889mm (35") and 839.102 (33.036"). 33.036" is 35" less the distance to the first fret - just calculated this for both to show that the fret distances are the same on the 35" scale fret 2 onward as it is on the 33.036" scale.

image.png.78c1fd2cf2f789132eff189ecd8e92f9.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Si600 said:

Out of interest, how do you mark .382 of a mm to cut it?

You don’t ... when I cut my slots I generally use a slot template, pretty accurate but not .382mm accurate. If you stay within 1mm or so, you are fine. A bass or guitar is approximately in tune, never totally.

• Thanks 1

Another problem with frets to watch out for with measuring.....I have two different makes of metre long steel rulers marked with inch and cm/mm. I’ve recently put them side by side and they are out with each other. Currently looking at expensive proven rulers!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mybass said:

Another problem with frets to watch out for with measuring.....I have two different makes of metre long steel rulers marked with inch and cm/mm. I’ve recently put them side by side and they are out with each other. Currently looking at expensive proven rulers!

An important point! You can't change rules or measures halfway through. Use the same measurement standard, like a band tuning to the same tuner/piano. As long as one part of the ruler isn't out more than the other, it'll hopefully be close enough!

A late friend of mine was an exceptionally skilled metalworker. He had worked at a piano factory, making parts of the action. It required working wooden parts to 0.001". This is not a usual precision for timber work, and it was not easy. 0.001" is pretty much 0.025mm. An accuracy of 0.1mm should be acceptable for the vast majority of woodwork.

• Like 1