Why become a member? ×

DB maintenance specifically humidifier

lowlandtrees

I have a 120 year old DB that I am concerned about. I have been using one of these humidifiers that you wet and hang inside the f-hole. I read that these aren’t great and stopped using it. Noticed last week that the spike hole is now loose and the spike is coming out. Might be coincidence? If these humidifiers are a bit crap (not sure either way) is there something better. I know you get something for guitars. I always thought the ones that hang inside are awkward.... I rarely remember to wet them!

I also use a couple of smallish lidded plastic containers. Drilled multiple holes across the top lid, fill with water and place on the floor underneath the bass. Picture below, not great but you get the idea. I’ve one of the humidifiers you mentioned, it’s a good ten years old and I forget to refill it, must try it again!

image.jpg

Those humidifier tubes were a fad a while back.  I have one (and the little card strip that claims to show the humidity level).  Does nothing in the UK as it's pretty damp anyway.  Didn't work in Korea either, where winter humidity is <5%.  A Luthier in Seoul told me to keep my instruments in a room with an electric humidifier and keep the humidity around 30%.  That stopped the bridge warping and the sprung open joint he fixed for me didn't spring open again.

https://www.goodairgeeks.com/how-does-a-cool-mist-humidifier-work/

Are the little tube humidifiers no good then? I didn't realise.

If you go to any classical concert with a big bass section, 4 or 5 seats, every instrument seems to have one.  Maybe that's just for when you're putting an instrument into an air conditioned concert hall.

Cant do  any harm I guess .. unless it drips!  Lots of options ( eg some here https://www.thestringzone.co.uk/categories/humidifiers-hygrometers). But they're designed to go in a case with the instrument.  Most basses live in the open air .. hard to believe a dampit would make enough difference to the humidity of a room.

My dad puts a damper in his 220 year old cello, it also lives in a hard case and the sound still changes with the weather ( he says ).

Better advice here: https://gollihurmusic.com/do-you-need-to-humidify-your-upright-bass/.

He says, of dampits, "sticking one in your uncovered bass in an otherwise dry room or house doesn't help much - as the moisture evaporates out of the tube, it humidifies the air throughout the entire room, not just inside your bass. So it really is only worth using if your bass is inside its case, and therefore in a closed environment."

The 'dampit' I have I think was a D'Addario one. It doesn't drip or leak water, the tube slowly 'expels' moisture and shrivels in size when dried out. I think its better than nothing (as pictured above, I also use a couple of drill hole lidded containers). My double bass tutor of many years ago made his own ‘dampit’ from a piece of plastic tubing, about 1" wide with holes drilled along the length. It had foam inside to soak up water, blocked both ends with one end having a piece of wood or plastic across it to stop it falling through the F hole, simply left it in his DB, this was way before commercial companies made them.

Edited by mybass

My basses range from 200yrs old to a modern massive German 5 stringer from the '80's. I've dampits in all of them that are usually dried out (I always forget to wet them!) 

The main thing I do to keep the room humidified is I have uncovered bowls of water under all 4 basses in the corners of the room. Also I have the room radiator bearly on (drives my missus nuts) but it helps her 2 violins stay humidified as well. You'll be surprised how quickly the bowls empty especially in cold frosty months when the air is at its most driest (unless the cat is thirsty and helping himself!) 

An old pro showed me the water bowl trick and even went further by hooking a damp sponge from its bridge! But he did have a lovely Ceruti Italian bass that needed extra care. 

I keep my 2 bass guitars in that room as well and it doesn't seem to affect them either. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bloopdad1 said:

I keep my 2 bass guitars in that room as well and it doesn't seem to affect them either. 

Now have some house plants in my bass room that get sprayed and watered quite often... not sure it helps the dB and cello, but it's stopped my fretless wal from delaminating ( in truth, that could be the big squirt of wood glue I applied )

Hi Lowlandtrees,

Dampits will add unwanted wet areas to your bass which could open up  old cracks

I`ve been shipping basses with Boveda packs, they are also useful for daily use if you pack one with your bass in it`s case. It will create a microclimate

My good friend Nick Lloyd demonstrates here how they can be used to stabilise humidity.

Humidity, Boveda packs, and your bass. - YouTube

Best Wishes

Martin

2 hours ago, Martin Penning said:

Hi Lowlandtrees,

Dampits will add unwanted wet areas to your bass which could open up  old cracks

I`ve been shipping basses with Boveda packs, they are also useful for daily use if you pack one with your bass in it`s case. It will create a microclimate

My good friend Nick Lloyd demonstrates here how they can be used to stabilise humidity.

Humidity, Boveda packs, and your bass. - YouTube

Best Wishes

Martin

Yes that was always my worry. Will have a look.....only thing is that I never put my bass in a case like most people.

Watching the above video made me realise that high humidity is as bad as low. We are temporarily renting a damp house (50%). We have used a dehumidifier and a humidifier in various places. Wonder if there is anything out there that does both....I have googled and seen very complex whole system solutions but looking for something cheaper and smaller

1 hour ago, lowlandtrees said:

...Wonder if there is anything out there that does both...

The usual treatment for a damp house is ventilation. If a constantly-renewd flow of air can be established, the damp will dry out. Of course, the source of the damp should be addressed, if possible (leaking roof, cracked walls, land water drainage...). The cheap way of getting the air through is to open the windows. That's not so good in winter, of course, but on every bright day (and more are coming, with Spring not far off...) it might pay to open the house up more, and wear an extra jumper.
Hope this helps. B|

I keep my studio humidified with a LeVoit auto-humidifier set at 45% (I work in here as well) - comfortable human range, and it seems to keep the basses stable. I don't have an EUB though. The humidifier has a huge tank, but in winter with the heating on it'll only last a week or so (trust me, the room's not damp, no mould, bad smells etc - this house pushes moisture out like nothing else I've ever lived in!)