Why become a member? ×

What's a good bass distortion pedal?

prowla

2 hours ago, Eko said:

I’d suggest trying a Southampton Fifth Gear V2.

Their description of its sound accurately describes what I was hearing with mine:

The Fifth Gear is our take on a transistor OD which goes from barely-there overdrive to a distortion that toes the line of fuzz. The Fifth Gear can stand out on it's own, but also excels when pushing other pedals, or your amp, that extra bit further.”

11EE7365-2A3E-4A70-B537-2D6A6E81584C.jpeg.ea960b28a333df7f13fbf6c15df82541.jpeg

This pedal won’t give you a buzzsaw or zipper effect. But it will provide a nice degree of sonic complexity along with a touch of grit and edge.  Works equally well with guitar or bass, which is a nice feature if you double on both instruments  

That sounds worth checking out. 🙂

Well, after some faffing about, I've gravitated back to the VT Bass pedal I already had; I'm going to add a loop switcher to my pedalboard so I can completely take it out of circuit when it's off.

I may keep a space on my board so I can try others out, though...

...and then I couldn't quite get the right sound from the VT Bass, so I put back in my BDDI as a distortion pedal.

So now the board looks like this.

UjR1kD1.jpg

There's probably a couple more revisions to do to get it just right.

• Like 2

On 20/03/2021 at 22:25, Cosmo Valdemar said:

It's not made anymore but they pop up on Ebay from time to time.

It's a preamp, designed to emulate an old Hiwatt. It's not a specific guitar or bass pedal - it's designed to work with both. I've used it as a bass preamp for years and it's much more to my taste than the VT Bass.

41G5cRbgD1L._AC_SY580_.jpg

How about this? 

10 hours ago, Kiwi said:

41G5cRbgD1L._AC_SY580_.jpg

How about this? 

That's a clone of the Tech 21 Liverpool, which is their Vox AC30 emulator. I had one for a while but a 'friend' borrowed it and never gave it back.

It sounds amazing on guitar, but I never had the chance to try it with a bass. I don't think it would be ideal honestly  I can't imagine getting great bass tones from an AC30.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/03/2021 at 12:39, Doddy said:

For just a bit of drive I often use the HBE Heamatoma, although I've been using the Earthquaker Devices Plumes quite a bit lately. I also really like the Ashdown NM2, and the Fuzzrocious Oh See Demon and Broke Richard Peanut Gallery.

The EMMA Onomatopoeia is pretty cool too. It's a boost pedal, but you can push it to a nice, slightly overdrive sound.

Can you share your OnoMATOpoeia settings please? I'm having a hard time dialing in a good set of tones.

I am notorious for being easily satisfied by cheap stuff.

TC MojoMojo - overdrive

Joyo Voodoo Octave - fuzz

Boss HM2 - distortion

Cover all my needs, although I've got a Behriger Tube Screamer clone that has been waiting nearly a year for a chance to be used at volume.

6 minutes ago, bode said:

I'm reading about this Mojo every time I look up something. It's half price at Andertons right now, but I've got a storage case half full of unopened pedal treasures. I'm resisting.

Hmmm I love my Mojomojo, but I'm not sure what Andertons are up to, as this pedal has been £40 everywhere for many years now. 

2021-05-20-21-30-19.png

• Like 1

This threat has been ultra useful for me (no sarcasm). 

Can someone help with getting a specific tone. Fat Mike off nofx has a great light overdrive sound. Any suggestions? 

I have Fender jazz and trace elliot gp12 smx. I use an adventure glacial zenith but that hasn't been doing it for me. Please don't say I need a new bass and amp as the wife may go mental at me! 

32 minutes ago, Friskydingo said:

This threat has been ultra useful for me (no sarcasm). 

Can someone help with getting a specific tone. Fat Mike off nofx has a great light overdrive sound. Any suggestions? 

I have Fender jazz and trace elliot gp12 smx. I use an adventure glacial zenith but that hasn't been doing it for me. Please don't say I need a new bass and amp as the wife may go mental at me! 

Any NOFX songs in particular?

no answers then? I for one have trouble picking out the bass in NoFX records, Bottles to the Ground  might help there's a couple of audible bass runs and it's one of my favourite NoFX tracks. I think I could get pretty close with my Zoom B1on pedal