Why become a member? ×

Blank or closed pickup covers

Grassie

Hi all,

Has anyone ever replaced the covers (the actual black plastic enclosures as opposed to the chrome ashtray jobs) on pickups with exposed pole pieces with blank or closed type covers?

I want to try a set on my Squier jazz bass but am concerned that a blank cover will cause a reduction in volume/output as the pole pieces will be covered. Some reasons for me wanting to try this:

I'm quite heavy handed when digging in and often catch the string on the pole piece, causing that horrible clicking sound.

I can't keep the pole pieces clean for love nor money. I get sweaty hands when playing and the poles on all my basses have a certain degree of corrosion. In the past some have actually gone a bit rusty.

I don't actually like the look of exposed pole piece pickups, closed ones look much nicer.

Thoughts/experiences anyone? :)

I agree you should try it with tape before spending money - see if it solves your problem.

A more permanent solution is to take off the covers and replace them with solid ones, or if you don't mind modding the pickup covers - gluing wood veneer or plastic to the face of the cover. It won't look like an Xotic pickup: Xotic-PJ-bass11.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

But it should work. Woods generally easier to paint than plastic if you wanted a solid colour. If the strings are hitting it a very tough wood or plastic would be ideal, or just lower the pickups (maybe look at a preamp or booster for raising the output, or just hotter pickups? if you don't like the way they sound lowered).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

... you may need to adjust the pickup height though.

+1 If the strings are currently hitting your open pole pieces then they will certainly hit any top covering unless you lower them which will slightly reduce the output.

• Like 1