Why become a member? ×

A Fender/Schecter refresh...it’s that time again.

The bass in question, my main,  is a bass that I put together originally in 1982 using:

1971 Fender  fretless maple neck

1982 Schecter Research  P/J body, Satin Walnut,  heavily contoured at least 3 times. Refinished 3 times. This is from the times Schecter sold Fender replacement parts.

Tapped Schecter PU’s.  Probably made by Seymour Duncan. With 2 on/off/on switches.  Half volume, off, full volume. Stereo wiring

When the P PU quit working some years ago, I tried to have Seymour Duncan make me a new one.  They told me then they probably make the PU’s for Schecter.  Not sure if true.  They tried twice to build me what I wanted.  I ended up buying PU’s  from Joe Barden.  They fit perfectly without covers with the mounting tabs on the bottom of the PU.

I recently had Tom Brantley , http://tombrantleyrewinds.com/, repair/build my old tapped P PU. It’s arriving soon. So I’m going back to my tapped PU system.

So, after taking the electronics out, I’m going to rub it out and give it a fresh waxing before installing the old tapped PU’s back in.

6DABEF09-64D3-4552-9EFE-B5C612C94E76.jpeg

1C9B4805-64A3-4A3F-9B2C-836240353220.jpeg

88AEB093-DE34-430F-979F-2812C93B7F12.jpeg

6B80327F-416D-403D-90E3-7A578F03B4FC.jpeg

Edited by stereoplayer
Typo
  • Like 3

Re-did the shielding of the cavity and cover, and started the polish process. I use car finish products. 
And filled screw holes with toothpick and glue  for a tight re-assembly.

The last time I refinished it was 12/2009...time flies like an arrow...fruit flies like a banana.😋

9CF406EB-9DC9-403D-8955-7DA48D219BE1.jpeg

81EAD6DA-0169-4A29-AB77-0AFC136E9093.jpeg

345FBCCC-95DA-4E33-93E7-0016C2424209.jpeg

Edited by stereoplayer
  • Like 1

I played this bass a long time without covers.  I think I prefer it that way.  They do have copper bands soldered around the windings.

I’m in the process of putting together another version of this using dark woods.  Also plain ‘n simple. The link  is two posts above this. 

Thanks for your compliments.

Edited by stereoplayer

I played it quite a bit today.  It still does it for me.

I played to some of songs from a previous band I was in.  First up was Driven To Tears, The Police.

I always liked playing that song with this bass.  This bas is so much fun to play!  I wish I was still in a band playing out...

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, funkydoug said:

Very nice looking bass.

Can I ask, what did you think of the Barden J pickup? Not heard one but I can see the benefits of a hum cancelling blade ... and it looks so cool too!

Cheers,

Doug.

Overall, I have no problems with the Bardens.  The are powerful, I I thought they have lots of “punch”.  
I bought them because I had one of my original Schecter pu’s fail.  The Bardens were the only ones that fit the same way as my originals,  the screws are  on the bottom  flange of the Pu.  

I think you would like them. Powerful was my impression.

7 minutes ago, funkydoug said:

Thanks for the info @stereoplayer

Not sure i follow what you mean about the screw on the bottom of the pickup ... how does that affect how they fit? Genuine question, I'm thinking of getting some, or at least a bridge one.

Thanks, Doug.

The original Schecter PU’s didn’t use covers.  They use a short screw which goes thru the bottom plate of the Pu. The Bardens mount the same way. Although the Bardens don’t need covers(at least the ones I had), they are a sealed Pu.

Much like these Brantley PUs that I had custom ordered . These are tapped PUs I had custom made for a walnut build I’m doing. These PUs will not be getting covers.

28BFB04A-AF00-448B-970F-EB38CE35DDDE.jpeg

F0AB4524-957D-4924-A448-B9A905C7C90D.jpeg

EDAB9C3A-0FE1-425B-87CA-0CE3F77143AA.jpeg

Edited by stereoplayer
  • Like 1