Why become a member? ×

Pino Palladino now plays jazz

Romeo2

There's more videos on Mr Mills' youtube channel promoting their forthcoming record, some very creative use of effects, capo on bass, more cool basses and remarkable musicianships. Hard to watch, I agree the quirky camerawork may get annoying.

I referred to it as jazz but it kind is out there in the free, genre-less, let's make music we like sphere, closest to jazz but hardly traditional.

Great thing about Pino he's done almost all the genres now - you can like him for ballad rock and RnB, or hate him for that and tune into his NIN and jazz stuff. I love it all, looking up his bass playing credits my ears / mind opened up to e.g. John Mayer and D'Angelo, the latter I don't think I would ever consider listening to.

11 hours ago, Romeo2 said:

another genre Pino can add to his ever-growing list of gigs, forgive my ignorance if I missed him doing jazz before. 

Pino has done quite a bit of modern jazz/instrumental stuff over the years. He's on albums by players like Herbie Hancock, David Sanborn, Vinnie Colaiuta, Manu Katche, and PSP, amongst others.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Romeo2 said:

There's more videos on Mr Mills' youtube channel promoting their forthcoming record, some very creative use of effects, capo on bass, more cool basses and remarkable musicianships. Hard to watch, I agree the quirky camerawork may get annoying.

I referred to it as jazz but it kind is out there in the free, genre-less, let's make music we like sphere, closest to jazz but hardly traditional.

Great thing about Pino he's done almost all the genres now - you can like him for ballad rock and RnB, or hate him for that and tune into his NIN and jazz stuff. I love it all, looking up his bass playing credits my ears / mind opened up to e.g. John Mayer and D'Angelo, the latter I don't think I would ever consider listening to.

I have the D'Angelo album (Voodoo) - I really quite like it and the bass is excellent R and B style. I got it a few years back when I decided to revisit Pino (having been a fan when he first became famous) - as well as that album I got Gary Numan (I, Assassin) and Paul Young (No Parlez) as Christmas presents - encouraged me to re-learn songs like Music For Chameleons (always reminds me of Alan Partridge....) - great bass part though! 

As well as +1 on the David Sanborn and other jazz artists mentioned by @Doddy there's also a version on You Tube of him playing with Jeff Beck on Star Cycle - a very fast sequencer type bass part on his Stingray fretless 

Edited by drTStingray

Well turns out I really knew very little about Pino's gigs, glad I posted this, more stuff to check out!

I am a kid/victim of the 90s so even though I knew who he was I only got really interested when he started playing with Trent and toured with NIN (initially was sad to see Justin being replaced...).

22 hours ago, Romeo2 said:

Well turns out I really knew very little about Pino's gigs, glad I posted this, more stuff to check out!

I am a kid/victim of the 90s so even though I knew who he was I only got really interested when he started playing with Trent and toured with NIN (initially was sad to see Justin being replaced...).

@Romeo2 if you haven't heard it check out the You Tube live concerts with him in the Paul Young band - absolutely brilliant playing and groove. A particularly good one is the Paul Young band playing the song Sex on the 80s TV programme The Tube. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 07/03/2021 at 10:49, drTStingray said:

check out the You Tube live concerts with him in the Paul Young band -

Shame they have Paul Young on them.

Bought a whole John McLaughlin cd ( jazz, yes; fusion, anyway) many years ago because Pino is on it... for 5 minutes, in the background, quietly.

Really hard to find recordings of Pino where he isn't quietly propping up someone (usually) less good than himself.  Probably most out there on the Paul Young stuff ... But ohh, that soppy, whiny voice. 

20 hours ago, Bleat said:

Anyone else hear subtle hints of Camel's Rain Dances album in it?

I love that album, in part due to Richard Sinclair's bass playing .... But no, don't quite hear the resemblance.

1 hour ago, NickA said:
1 hour ago, NickA said:

I love that album, in part due to Richard Sinclair's bass playing .... But no, don't quite hear the resemblance.

It could actually have been something from The Snow Goose,  another masterpiece, what with the guitar towards the end. Either way it wasn't overt, just a general subtle "something". I guess a mix of soft ambient jazz, the chord changes and some fretless playing made me think of it.