Why become a member? ×

Equipment storage

Combed20

I use an uninsulated out building to keep my gear....and futon for naps, desk etc. In the summer it gets blazing hot and winter pretty darn cold. I do have 2 garden/greenhouse low energy heaters to pull some moisture out in the winter.

But, I must say, my bass collection hasn't suffered. Although, I do wish it was insulated. 

We're in the process of moving, so I can show a picture. The positive to our garden is it's surrounded by high walls, and no access to streets or alleyways, so I feel pretty confident it's secure. I also have a camera installed.

20190918_170625.jpg

I'm having a conservatory built in a couple of months.  I live in a semi so my plan is to leave my heads and cabs in there so I can practise at all hours without disturbing the neighbours.  Whether I leave basses in there or not depends on how the temperature fluctuates in there, I'll see.

The neighbours I don't want to disturb were burgled, in 2019 I think.  They used to leave the porch door unlocked, for the postman, and the main door locked.  They have cameras and 3-4 pet dogs.  The burglars wore hoodies to avoid cameras and fed the dogs drugged meat that knocked them out for a few hours.

We, on our side of the semi, have no dogs or cameras but weren't burgled!  The police said that the unlocked porch door was liked by the miscreants as they could get into the porch and then, inconspicuously, pick the front door lock. 

I'll also ad, worrying about my gear is also a reason why I don't have really high end equipment. I've sold my Markbass amp set up since we're now using IEM's. I just have a Fender Rumble 40 for any small gigs where I might not use IEM's (and DI that into the PA).

I just don't want to worry about my equipment when at a gig, or left in my shed. If someone nics my American Performer Jazz bass it would suck, but it wouldn't be the end of the world to replace it....and I always have my modded Bronco bass as a back up.

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

I'm having a conservatory built in a couple of months.  I live in a semi so my plan is to leave my heads and cabs in there so I can practise at all hours without disturbing the neighbours.  Whether I leave basses in there or not depends on how the temperature fluctuates in there, I'll see.

The neighbours I don't want to disturb were burgled, in 2019 I think.  They used to leave the porch door unlocked, for the postman, and the main door locked.  They have cameras and 3-4 pet dogs.  The burglars wore hoodies to avoid cameras and fed the dogs drugged meat that knocked them out for a few hours.

We, on our side of the semi, have no dogs or cameras but weren't burgled!  The police said that the unlocked porch door was liked by the miscreants as they could get into the porch and then, inconspicuously, pick the front door lock. 

I've had a conservatory for approx 20 yrs now built from our patio door area. In winter it gets pretty cold and when the house heating comes on it suffered from a lot of condensation issues which caused mould build up in some low lying areas. I have an oil stand alone heater with digital thermostat set at 7 oC.

3 yrs ago when i retired i got the roof insulation and what a difference it made. No condensation or dampness issues at all now. 

Other big benefits are that now it doesn't get freezing cold in winter and seems to stay a bit cooler during hot sunny days plus no sun glare thru the roof panels.

Not sure about your bass not affecting the neighbours from the conservatory as they aren't really that well sound proofed.

Dave

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Not sure about your bass not affecting the neighbours from the conservatory as they aren't really that well sound proofed.

Dave

But there won't be an adjoining wall to their house.  The conservatory will be off my back wall, there will be a double glazed sliding door in between the house and the conservatory and the other three sides will be out in the garden.  

The survey is this afternoon, so I'll ask the surveyor about this.

Conservatories have moved on a bit in the last 20 years so condensation shouldn't be an issue but I'll be doing the electrics so I'll make sure there is enough heating.

• Like 1