Why become a member? ×

Flying V bass options

mr4stringz

Been having a GAS attack for a V bass of late. Availability of many options seems a bit thin on the ground just now though.

The short scale of the Gibson/Epiphone V basses appeals, though the inflated prices I’ve seen (presumably due to current non-production) don’t so much. Regardless, are either the Epi or Gibbo ones any cop? And are there any other brands I should be considering? All and any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers!

Edited by mr4stringz

I own an Eastwood BV - Eastwood even re-posted my Instagram post on it  a few years ago. Common sense says I should sell it but I can't bring myself to part with it. Short scale (I think most V's are) and great fun. Sounds better with fingers than a pick, which surprised me as I thought it was a rock bass. 

D5355277-F828-4A79-BA8C-365D4CDE5400.thumb.jpeg.821c042da60a374ac55e2efa46c31eea.jpeg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

Been having a GAS attack for a V bass of late. Availability of many options seems a bit thin on the ground just now though.

The short scale of the Gibson/Epiphone V basses appeals, though the inflated prices I’ve seen (presumably due to current non-production) don’t so much. Regardless, are either the Epi or Gibbo ones any cop? And are there any other brands I should be considering? All and any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers!

Try and play one sitting down, that will soon kill the GAS, I had an Epiphone flying V a while ago and it looked great, sounded great but I ended up getting rid of it because trying to play it sitting down was just horrendous

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Try and play one sitting down, that will soon kill the GAS, I had an Epiphone flying V a while ago and it looked great, sounded great but I ended up getting rid of it because trying to play it sitting down was just horrendous

Did it have a little hinged flip-out panel on the lower edge? They do the trick. Steinbergers and Hohners have them,  too.

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

I own an Eastwood BV - Eastwood even re-posted my Instagram post on it  a few years ago. Common sense says I should sell it but I can't bring myself to part with it. Short scale (I think most V's are) and great fun. Sounds better with fingers than a pick, which surprised me as I thought it was a rock bass. 

D5355277-F828-4A79-BA8C-365D4CDE5400.thumb.jpeg.821c042da60a374ac55e2efa46c31eea.jpeg

Ooooh, that’s tasty!!!

31 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

In fairness it would likely be an ‘only when standing’ bass for the most part. I rarely do non-Fender when seated. Habit thing!

I think there have only ever been 2 or 3 fairly short runs of production Gibson Flying Vee basses so there's not that many around.

I played one identical to the one in the link below in Musical Exchanges around 1990. Looked the absolutely dogs. I remember struggling with it a bit, looking back I think maybe it wasn’t ideally set up for me.

I remember it was priced at £350.

It's a bit more than that now.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/38109418-gibson-flying-v-bass-1981-transparent-blue

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DarkHeart said:

I`ve got a bit of a one off headless bass, solid walnut, twin warman mm humbuckers and the hardware from a Westone Quantum. Seriously don`t get the sitting down playing problem, I`ve never had it.

56510917_10156129643660848_5791601551403384832_n.jpg

Not a fan of headless basses as a rule but can see it working on this body shape. Those Warman MM p/ups are very decent for the rather minuscule outlay too. Nice!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cato said:

I think there have only ever been 2 or 3 fairly short runs of production Gibson Flying Vee basses so there's not that many around.

I played one identical to the one in the link below in Musical Exchanges around 1990. Looked the absolutely dogs. I remember struggling with it a bit, looking back I think maybe it wasn’t ideally set up for me.

I remember it was priced at £350.

It's a bit more than that now.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/38109418-gibson-flying-v-bass-1981-transparent-blue

Think I made at least 1 visit pretty much each weekend from 91-94 to Exchanges gawping at lovely gear in my playing infancy. And that’s an absolute beauty!

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, karlfer said:

Cheers. I was all set to drop a message on this one yesterday. Before a visit to the dentist and a £500 bill for a crown on a cracked tooth made me sensible. That was yesterday though, think I’ll drop a message over so er, thanks for that!

21 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

Sitting down?

They are designed to be played in rock bands standing up, preferably with one foot up on the monitors whilst punching the air when you don't have to fret any of the strings.

Buy a boring P-Bass if you want to play sitting down.

22 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

Cheers!

I played a Kramer one in the ‘80s with the aluminium neck. It was great. 

48 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Sitting down?

They are designed to be played in rock bands standing up, preferably with one foot up on the monitors whilst punching the air when you don't have to fret any of the strings.

Buy a boring P-Bass if you want to play sitting down.

What about practice at home? If I can't use a bass for home practice then it's not much use to me