Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Single Cut 5-string Short Scale

Andyjr1515

The purpleheart has been trimmed so the top is pretty much ready to fit - although there is a great deal to be done before that.  These are the three dampened woods - walnut, purpleheart and oak:

6euXWST.jpg

And here is the first of many mockups  :D

K6q5jNWl.jpg

• Like 8

Lots of 'measure 6 times, cut once' bits today ;)

Having worked out the best orientation for the neck blank, it was a case of: positioning the top; marking where the top will be sunk into the neck blank and thus where the rebate needs to be cut; establishing the bridge position on that top; measuring and marking where both the front edge and back edge of the nut is going to be.

pjTkYefl.jpg

Next was measuring the headstock angle from the back edge of the nut:

kQoFxoJl.jpg 

Then, after checking the measurements 5 more times...cutting it :shok:

Mockup number 2, checking that I've got it right:

gUHdVtql.jpg

And yes - it is in the right place, giving me a flat surface for the bottom of the nut when the time comes.

Next job is routing (yes - I know.  I mightily hate routers - but this is one job where they are darned hard to beat!) the rebate in the neck blank that the top will drop into, leaving it flush with the top of the neck.  All going well, that will be this afternoon :)

As always, thanks for looking, folks :)

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 8

Normal stuff - as I can't think of anyone else who builds like this, don't assume it's the way it should be done! :lol:

I cut the notch in the neck blank using the router in a home-made thicknessing rig:

pFVxAKel.jpg

So I end up with a rebate like this:

GuO2wYFl.jpg

Which, relatively shortly, will be glued to the top like this:

D4CvBrDl.jpg

...and eventually will be covered by the fretboard like this:

ClioNv9l.jpg

Time for a cup of tea, I reckon :)

• Like 10

IMG_20210411_185930.thumb.jpg.af463c78f9c99983d1a267ef04410bbd.jpg

Same construction method used on this 3 string cbg I knocked up as a pressie for my other half.  It is hollow body floating bridge with through neck.   Apologies for non bass content :)

Edited by 3below
  • Like 3

On 12/04/2021 at 10:09, 3below said:

Thanks you, however looks can be deceptive, it is fairly amateur workmanship in places, a long way from your standards. 

It's only a bit more practice that separates us...  ;)

@Matt P is going for 20" radius and - based on that hand radiusing ebony is a quick very slow way to insanity - I've ordered a couple of extra radius templates for their wonderful radius routing jig. 

In the meantime, I routed the slot for the trussrod:

37kHUSBl.jpg

M2XCURAl.jpg 

And, based on the fact that for all the 'nice-to-haves', the one 'must-be-able-to', is that it must be able to fit in the Hiscox case, a quick check:

f2btNIPl.jpg

Phew! :)

I will be pondering a while to make sure I haven't forgotten anything before I cut anything, but I'm pretty sure I can cut the side profile of the neck now...

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

...... based on that hand radiusing ebony is a quick very slow way to insanity - I've ordered a couple of extra radius templates for their wonderful radius routing jig............

Tell me more of the radius routing jig, please.  I found hand radiusing ebony not too arduous but the black dust went everywhere.

14 minutes ago, 3below said:

Tell me more of the radius routing jig, please.  I found hand radiusing ebony not too arduous but the black dust went everywhere.

It's this:

eX7silzl.jpg

From Guitars and Woods (G&W) in Portugal.  The basic set-up with one set of radii (to your choice) is a reasonable cost although the additional radius plates are quite expensive.  The new Mk 4 with the bearings is better than this one which sticks a little, but this is still pretty good.

Ends up quite expensive if you don't own one of the 3-4 types of palm router that it fits already, of course...

You still need around 10 mins sanding with a block to take out the rout lines and you do get loads of ebony chips...but not the dust except for that last 10 mins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The radius templates from G&W in Portugal are due later today and this morning is an important stage in the build - it is where is starts looking like a bass :)

It's too early to cut the taper, but while I still have a flat profile to act as a datum on my bandsaw, it is the ideal time to cut the side profile of the neck:

BIJ4LRrl.jpg

The pencilled line is where the heel will be on the treble side; the cut is where the heel is on the bass side - and we have a few choices how we handle this.  I'll find out from @Matt P offline what he prefers before outlining what it will be like.

Then I looked at the options for the orientation of the back oak wings which are cut from one piece and so grain-match either side of the neck:

qQRSFlol.jpg

And concluded this would work best:

MWsBxxPl.jpg

So back to the bandsaw, and making allowance for the c2mm purpleheart separation strips cut them out a few mm oversize:

fU4Dzuml.jpg

And so, as I said at the beginning...it's starting to look like a bass :D

hw0ONl9l.jpg 

• Like 9

Yesterday an exciting package arrived from Portugal.  It means I can steam ahead on the build next week :)   :

BUh2Qlql.jpg

The 20" templates for my G&W radius jig; a template for the G&W fretcutting mitre jig (the last couple of shortscale boards I've done I marked the positions by hand, but I am increasingly asked about short and medium scale basses so it was worth getting the template); finally, a piece of maple strip put into the package to stop the template getting bent...and which will make @Fishman very happy! 

The other thing that @Matt P and I have been discussing is the neck to body transition. 

Of the various options, Matt's preference is a mix of this, below, his present 5-er (no pressure, then, MrAndyjr1515!!!!) :

f10Honsl.jpg

...and this, a stock Bing photo that I can't remember who the builder/maker is so apologies and thanks if it's you!:

k5uuQGul.jpg?1

So basically, a continuation of the neck thickness until it meets the body at the lower horn cutout, and probably a continuation of the neck profile curve along that length, as with the bottom photo, rather than flattening off from the neck spline to the upper body as in the top photo.

Should be a good week :)

I will also be ordering the SimS 5-string Superquad during next week, so everything is starting to get pretty serious :)

• Like 6

On 18/04/2021 at 10:25, Andyjr1515 said:

Yesterday an exciting package arrived from Portugal.  It means I can steam ahead on the build next week :)   :

BUh2Qlql.jpg

Out of interest how long did the GW parcel take to get to you and did you get any additional UPS charges upon delivery?

My own parcel from GW shipped on the 9th and was held up between Portugal and Spain and then another much longer delay getting it in to the UK,  where it's currently down south unmoved. It's totally understandable with the times we live in so I don't mind the wait, like you I have some templates and treated myself to their fret arbor press :)!!

I love this build though, such a brilliant design.

1 hour ago, spacecowboy said:

Out of interest how long did the GW parcel take to get to you and did you get any additional UPS charges upon delivery?

My own parcel from GW shipped on the 9th and was held up between Portugal and Spain and then another much longer delay getting it in to the UK,  where it's currently down south unmoved. It's totally understandable with the times we live in so I don't mind the wait, like you I have some templates and treated myself to their fret arbor press :)!!

I love this build though, such a brilliant design.

It's probably the luck of the draw.  I opted for UPS and it came a day later than they said, but still actually received 5 calendar days after placing the order, which I was quite chuffed about.  There were no additional charges, although the tracking showed it did halt for a customs check (which caused the day's delay).  I suspect whether charges are made or not is related to value.  I am unclear whether the price in the first place included Portugal's VAT (which presumably it shouldn't) but maybe that's also in the equation.

It has to be said, the VAT rules and procedures change (which was slipped in as part of Brexit but actually wasn't part of it) is a right royal mess.  Have you noticed the number of overseas sellers on ebay who now advertise "Ships Worldwide (excludes UK)"?   And this is non-EU sellers as well as EU sellers... 

Edited by Andyjr1515

17 hours ago, eude said:

How about something like this?... 😉

FB_IMG_1618767928307.jpg.2d1db4adac49cf470f634a16208bf441.jpg

what bass is that? It's very impressive but it loks like a ightmare to glue up! 

I think the current plan is definitely the right one and i'm confident that @Andyjr1515 can create a beautifully sculpted and refined transition from the neck to the body, the example i sent is my 8 year old Letts 5 string and from the pictures of Andy's previous builds I know that he can produce something that is more than a match for it.

Matt

And to the fretboard.

I had to mod my radius jig a little bit to take the modern sides (G&W now sell a Mark 3 and a Mark 4 and some bits for earlier Marks but it isn't clear which Mark one has in the first place - Carlos, please note!) but that said, this is one of the best investments I've ever made...

A bit of set up, and a lot of hoovering afterwards, but this in under 20 minutes as opposed to two and a half days of anguish and dust, followed by three weeks in an institution to recover and then back to find it's tapered, dipped and skewed and a further four weeks in the institution!

3anNzv5l.jpg

It then needs a further 30 minutes of hand sanding to get rid of the router lines (good chance to replenish the jar of ebony dust :) )

q167cVrl.jpg

And ready for slotting :)

ybZjdyKl.jpg

1elTdstl.jpg

• Like 4