Why become a member? ×

One of those annoying "how to get this tone" threads

josh3184

[quote name='josh3184' post='442863' date='Mar 23 2009, 06:50 PM']about 2.30 in this clip: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgWHiZ7aPF8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgWHiZ7aPF8[/url]

Apologies for the terrible acting on that video, it was the only one with the full song I could see[/quote]
p-bass > ampeg on 11

[quote name='josh3184' post='443144' date='Mar 23 2009, 10:32 PM']a right handed one, yep. Plus an ibby p/j. Not gonna get it outta those, thats for sure :rolleyes: Strings are dead too, its like playing strips of sponge.[/quote]

Can't you turn off the j pickup in the P/J? Not to get too deep into it, thats the sound i like to use the most and can get it with either my squier P or my Yam 375 through behringer head. (The point is that they're both cheap basses through a cheap head) I'm not the most audiophilic on BC, but when someone says "the P sound" then *that's* the sound that I imagine. nothing special, just a good solid tone.

/edit
[quote name='josh3184']hmm, was wondering how to get that out of humbuckers (not gonna get it in the ray, but maybe the $$)[/quote]

My yam is a 2 humbucker jobbie. Pan knob turned to about 70% neck, 30% bridge. flat EQ on the bass, high-mids dropped a tad on the amp :)

Edited by SteveO

[quote name='SteveO' post='443172' date='Mar 23 2009, 09:53 PM']Can't you turn off the j pickup in the P/J? Not to get too deep into it, thats the sound i like to use the most and can get it with either my squier P or my Yam 375 through behringer head. (The point is that they're both cheap basses through a cheap head) I'm not the most audiophilic on BC, but when someone says "the P sound" then *that's* the sound that I imagine. nothing special, just a good solid tone.

/edit

My yam is a 2 humbucker jobbie. Pan knob turned to about 70% neck, 30% bridge. flat EQ on the bass, high-mids dropped a tad on the amp :)[/quote]

hmm interesting, may give it a crack. Only reason I said I couldnt use the yammie is that its the wrong way round for me :rolleyes:

Saw 'em live last year - You're gonna need a P, a pick, and a dirty dirty Ampeg. Textbook, really. Love that tone, and that album too!!

[b]EDIT:[/b] The internet is making a liar of me - every picture of them shows him playing a natural Jazz, but I'd have sworn he had a shiny red Precision last time they were in Manchester. Maybe old age is catching up with me, I am almost 25 after all.

Edited by mike257