Why become a member? ×

Receiving instruments from Thomann - smoother deal finally?

mcnach

Too early to say as it's not been finalised... but I ordered a nylon string electro/acoustic on Sunday, it's been marked as shipped with a delivery slot on Tuesday 9th between 12-3pm. If nothing changes, that's pretty good compared to what it was like in Jan/Feb.

5 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

I ordered some parts from Thomann the other week with no issues (apart from UPS being a bit of a pain on this side, claiming they’d attempted delivery when they hadn’t - no fault of Thomann). So wouldn’t hesitate to use them.

Yeah, UPS (couriers in general) are a bit hit or miss depending on the area you're in. Over here UPS has generally been pretty good, I hope they haven't changed recently, I really want this guitar to do a little recording next week :) 

27 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Yeah, UPS (couriers in general) are a bit hit or miss depending on the area you're in. Over here UPS has generally been pretty good, I hope they haven't changed recently, I really want this guitar to do a little recording next week :) 

I’m sure you’ll be fine, if you’ve had a good experience up to now part of it I guess will be the driver for your patch. Fingers crossed your guitar will be with you soon! 

• Like 1

I received a bass from them in 6-7 days including a weekend, door-to-door. Not bad considering customs clearance and it being delayed in Frankfurt for 2 days (presumably exit customs). However UPS were still showing delivery tomorrow when the van rocked up. I’d not had any invoice for Duty and VAT so had to hurriedly ring the local depot and pay it. Fortunately they texted the driver and he came back an hour later and dropped it off.

However... forget about reclaiming the Duty and VAT if you want to return it. I gave up trying to get customs entry details needed (see other thread about Thomann). So I would advise either fixing any issues or don’t buy anything you can’t afford to lose Duty/VAT on if you return. Even more worryingly, I had a long chat with a very helpful person from the HMRC who said that the Brexit deal had not explicitly dais that Duty and VAT can be returned, so even if you do claim, there’s no guarantee you’d be refunded. I gather thinks will become clearer in the summer.

36 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

I received a bass from them in 6-7 days including a weekend, door-to-door. Not bad considering customs clearance and it being delayed in Frankfurt for 2 days (presumably exit customs). However UPS were still showing delivery tomorrow when the van rocked up. I’d not had any invoice for Duty and VAT so had to hurriedly ring the local depot and pay. 

How much in a rough percentage was it you had to pay? Eyeing up a Harley Benton.... 

1 hour ago, FDC484950 said:

I received a bass from them in 6-7 days including a weekend, door-to-door. Not bad considering customs clearance and it being delayed in Frankfurt for 2 days (presumably exit customs). However UPS were still showing delivery tomorrow when the van rocked up. I’d not had any invoice for Duty and VAT so had to hurriedly ring the local depot and pay it. Fortunately they texted the driver and he came back an hour later and dropped it off.

However... forget about reclaiming the Duty and VAT if you want to return it. I gave up trying to get customs entry details needed (see other thread about Thomann). So I would advise either fixing any issues or don’t buy anything you can’t afford to lose Duty/VAT on if you return. Even more worryingly, I had a long chat with a very helpful person from the HMRC who said that the Brexit deal had not explicitly dais that Duty and VAT can be returned, so even if you do claim, there’s no guarantee you’d be refunded. I gather thinks will become clearer in the summer.

Yeah, I read your experience earlier. This was a £104 instrument [*] everything included, so I was not too worried if something went wrong, but I am not inclined to buy anything expensive for now, until the whole process is clear and streamlined.

[*]: like this

Harley-Benton-CG-400CE-.jpg