Why become a member? ×

What makes a great bass?

tegs07

51 minutes ago, owen said:

The next one. We ALL know that to be a fact.

And on that subject, my recently purchased 36" scale Overwater 5 strings is very great indeed. Incredible consistency. In a worryingly long list of basses which have travelled in and out my door, it is right there at the top for that.

I’ve been watching a fair bit of Bobby Vega recently and he said in an interview/clinic that the best bass is the one you have with you. A bit trite perhaps, but he makes a good point. Rather than searching for the ‘perfect’ bass by continually buying new/different stuff, which I’ve certainly been guilty of (often buying the same thing again later on in the pantheon of new comers), maybe find something that does the job and you quite like (at least don’t hate) and stick with it until it becomes part of you and your ‘sound’.

Now, before you all start crying, “Burn the heretic!” let’s see how long it is until I forget the nonsense above and ‘must have’ a different bass 😂.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I’ve been watching a fair bit of Bobby Vega recently and he said in an interview/clinic that the best bass is the one you have with you. A bit trite perhaps, but he makes a good point. Rather than searching for the ‘perfect’ bass by continually buying new/different stuff, which I’ve certainly been guilty of (often buying the same thing again later on in the pantheon of new comers), maybe find something that does the job and you quite like (at least don’t hate) and stick with it until it becomes part of you and your ‘sound’.

Now, before you all start crying, “Burn the heretic!” let’s see how long it is until I forget the nonsense above and ‘must have’ a different bass 😂

I’ve been guilty of this but that’s the curse/beauty of buying second hand on the internet. Curse because you don’t get to try and see if it works for you.. beauty as if you buy wisely you don’t really lose any money and in some cases maybe some cash,

12 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I’ve been watching a fair bit of Bobby Vega recently and he said in an interview/clinic that the best bass is the one you have with you.

Basically, love the one you're with. I'd say this a very sensible view.

20 hours ago, ezbass said:

19 hours ago, chris_b said:

Basically, love the one you're with. I'd say this a very sensible view.

I really wish I could get to that point. Just as I’m nearing it I get the impulse to buy something new and often find that I don’t like it as much as what I already have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I really wish I could get to that point. Just as I’m nearing it I get the impulse to buy something new and often find that I don’t like it as much as what I already have.

YUP! I feel your pain.