Why become a member? ×

Great bass lines in punk

SteveXFR

Just now, Old Man Riva said:

Apologies, not sure what I did with Al’s quote in previous post!

I would normally completely accept such a gracious apology, no questions asked.

But seriously! Apologising on a punk thread. WTF?

😁

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It's in our set - got requested for a wedding! But we're lucky to have a top notch drummer.

(Not saying you aren't Douglas, or maybe I should as this is a punk thread...😁)

Even in my heyday, no-one would have classed me as a 'thrash' drummer; these days the wheel-chair would be most appropriate, though. Maybe that was what was lacking..? o.O

:lol:

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I've never been very convinced that most of what America calls punk is punk

We started it, Malcom McLaren copied it. The Punk look in the U.K. was taken directly from characters in the U.S, such as Richard Hell:

voidoids009-640x390.jpg

McLaren wanted to copy The Ramones!

However, I agree with John Lydon, in in that Pop-Punk has sod-all to do with Punk.

They were off their trolley when they thought up that sub-genre!

IMO early punk was just fast rock 'n roll, it influenced by Glam as well, which came a few years earlier, the second wave with the likes of Exploited was a lot more shouty shouty and the American hard core, Black Flag Bad Brains, even more so which I don't like much.

So you've got the melodic punk, which the early stuff was, Ramones, Clash, Sex Pistols, Undertones Buzzcocks etc and then later on Green Day, and even Blink 182, then the shouty shouty hard core, really they're two completely different things, well I think so anyway

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

There's just so many offshoots, as with all genres. 

I seem to remember the Irish tinged punk coming out of Boston such as the Dropkick Murphys being described as Boston Scally Punk. 

Obviously being punk it has to fit into a neat little pigeonhole. 😄

Perhaps back in the mid/late 70s you could say what was punk or not, but 40 years on it's all too blurred. Saying that, what was punk back when it all started? Were Blondie punk? Talking Heads? They were part of the CBGBs scene and got lumped in with punk. 

It's all a pointless debate. If it was true punk and played by punks ethics, it couldn't continue, yet it has. So is anything punk now? 

4 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

No, that's Surf. 9_9

(and not my style of drumming, either..! :lol: :P )

Talking of Surf. Richard Dale could almost fit in with punk ethics before punk even existed.

Ha ha, good old swear filter. 

Edited by Maude

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

Talking of Surf. Dick Dale could almost fit in with punk ethics before punk even existed....

Use an italic 'i' when it's a person's name (but not for swearing, naturally...). ;)

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

Oh deary, dear Douglas have you just revealed to all how to make a Richard of (aka to get around) the profanity filter?!

Well that's very rebellious of you.

You're defo an honorary punk 😁

Edited by Dad3353
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Oh deary, dear Douglas have you just revealed to all how to make a Richard of (aka to get around) the profanity filter?!

Well that's very rebellious of you.

You're defo an honorary punk 😁

Nah, hippy generosity (and naivety :$ ...)

1 minute ago, joeystrange said:

Similarly, John Lydon is about as punk as Thomas the Tank Engine. 

And if part of punk was about not selling out then Malcom McClaren was never punk. Dressing up as whatever the latest fad was too sell that fashion to to the gullible masses. First a leather clad Rock'n'Roller, then a Teddy Boy, then he saw punk in America and thought I could flog this to Britain. A walking, breathing sellout, yet seen as a central figure in punk. 

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated? Well not really John, it's just music. 🙂

• Like 1

On 04/03/2021 at 12:49, SteveXFR said:

I really love listening to all kinds of punk but although it's fun to play I struggle to find any really interesting punk bass lines. There are a few exceptions like Rancid and some of Anti Flags ska influenced songs. 

Are there any really great punk bass lines that really stand out? 

Idiots are taking over - nofx

• Like 1