Why become a member? ×

Great bass lines in punk

SteveXFR

1 minute ago, rushbo said:

Almost anything by the Minutemen.

Do Public Image Limited count as punk? If so, anything with Jah Wobble on. 

+1 for the Minutemen, and “Public Image” has to count as one of The great punk basslines

• Like 5

Pretty much everything Segs ever played with the Ruts is excellent, IMO.

Creative, driving, groovy, tight as anything with Ruffy... He was a massive influence on me when I was really getting into (learning) the bass, across different styles.

I spent hours trying to learn his lines and never got anywhere near...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

Creative, driving, groovy, tight as anything with Ruffy... He was a massive influence on me when I was really getting into (learning) the bass, across different styles.

it's the all downstrokes (I think) that kill me, same with Bruce Foxton, you can do it up and down but it's not the same

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

I was fortunate enough a few years back to play the Babylon’s Burning bass. We were in the dressing room and I was drooling over it so Segs said I could have a go on it, very decent chap, and very very decent bass.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

I only discovered rancid recently believe it or not. Most of the USA stuff passed me by.

I’m going to have a look at playing roots radicals at some point, that has a nice bassline.

Me too and largely due to Jimmy Cliff’s cover of Ruby Soho

Edited by tegs07

A lot of punk bass parts wouldn't be what you'd call "interesting" in isolation. That's not really the point of them. They're all about keeping it solid and driving the band. The bass playing here is a great example of that - Sex Pistols live @ Phoenix Festival 1996 (complete MTV broadcast 1of2) - YouTube. Might not win any compositional awards, but boy does it do the job.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Whilst not strictly punk, they do tend to get lumped into the genre, so, anything by Ian Dury and the Blockheads, especially Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick.

+1. There is a load of great music that sidled through the door that punk opened.

3 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

+1. There is a load of great music that sidled through the door that punk opened.

or, a lot of great music got labelled as punk because it happened to come to the surface about the same time, the blockheads are a lot nearer to Jazz funk than punk

Edited by PaulWarning

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

A lot of punk bass parts wouldn't be what you'd call "interesting" in isolation. That's not really the point of them. They're all about keeping it solid and driving the band. The bass playing here is a great example of that - Sex Pistols live @ Phoenix Festival 1996 (complete MTV broadcast 1of2) - YouTube. Might not win any compositional awards, but boy does it do the job.

Wow - that was terrific. I'd not seen that before. 👍

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

Wow - that was terrific. I'd not seen that before. 👍

Glad you liked it. My favourite live Pistols recording. Ten strings, a drum kit and three voices and sounds as fat as a full orchestra.