Why become a member? ×

Great bass lines in punk

SteveXFR

I really love listening to all kinds of punk but although it's fun to play I struggle to find any really interesting punk bass lines. There are a few exceptions like Rancid and some of Anti Flags ska influenced songs. 

Are there any really great punk bass lines that really stand out? 

3 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I enjoy listening to The Misfits, absolutely abhor playing Jerry Only's boring arrangements.

I'll agree with that. I love Misfits but it's Doyles guitar parts and Danzigs vocals are what made them great. 

Doyles solo stuff is really good as well, It's pretty much a modern version of Misfits but a bit more metal 

I enjoy playing the bass arrangement to Poison Heart, it's super simple, but damn it's Fun!

Dee Dee wrote that song from in jail, & used the sale of the song to get himself out.

I honestly think the lyrics were a poke at Johnny for being so cruel, and not just boosting him out of jail.

Edited by Killed_by_Death
spelling

1 hour ago, paul_5 said:

Maxwell Murders. Top that bad boy!!!

Journey To The End Of East Bay is my favourite Matt Freeman bass line. I've not managed to play it quite at full speed. If I slow it down to 95% it's fine but that last few bpm is just too fast. 

• Like 5

There's a load of awesome bass lines in Fugazi songs. Joe Lally is a great bass player. 

Good songs to start with:

Waiting Room

Ex-spectator

Combination lock

There are so many great Fugazi songs. Some may label them as hardcore though rather than punk. But definafely worth a listen. 

Edited by Crawford13
  • Like 2

Definitely The Stranglers, often the bass would be the hook of the song. Great band.

Also, Jon Watson’s playing on much of the early 999 records is great. Sulphate and John Entwhistle appeared to be his main influences:

Always was a fan of Paul Gray’s playing, especially in the Damned and Eddie & The Hot Rods. Distorted Rickenbackers galore:

And one of my all-time faves, not just for bass, but also punk triangle playing:

There’s probably millions of more recent ones but I’m an old git and the old school punk stuff always comes straight to mind :)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Journey To The End Of East Bay is my favourite Matt Freeman bass line. I've not managed to play it quite at full speed. If I slow it down to 95% it's fine but that last few bpm is just too fast. 

I only discovered rancid recently believe it or not. Most of the USA stuff passed me by.

I’m going to have a look at playing roots radicals at some point, that has a nice bassline.

• Like 2