Why become a member? ×

One Finger Per Fret- pinky not an issue

Trylle

2 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

We all have differently-sized hands so not all advice applies to everyone. However, in general, if your little finger is dead straight like that it means your 2nd and 3rd knuckles are locked in place. This limits mobility and long term is asking for trouble. I used to play like that a lot on 5- and 6-strings, now have arthritis in my little finger and recently developed carpal tunnel syndrome (not directly in the wrist but via a neck issue).
Your wrist should be as near as possible straight so from your elbow to the back of your hand is a straight line. CTS can require surgery and/or you can have permanent nerve damage. No need to stretch that far that low on the fretboard. Rest the thumb lightly in the back of the neck and pivot or shift. Your playing will be all the more fluid for it.

The above is good advice. I've looked again at your photo at the top and noticed something related. Your thumb is opposite your second finger and quite a distance around the curve of the neck - virtually central. The first finger is hooked quite a long way back towards the nut from it. I thought it looked uncomfortable, so have just tried it and found it was. It created quite a lot of tension in my hand and limited my ability to stretch with my third and fourth fingers.

That may just be me, of course (we're all made differently), but I'd suggest aiming to have your thumb opposite the first finger, or opposite the gap between first and second at most. I'd also recommend bringing the thumb back around the neck towards the E string side a little. Try to place it so you can see your thumbnail when you look down at it and try not to arch it back (that again introduces tension into the hand). Have it straight or even bend the thumb joint slightly, but not to the extent of wrapping it around the fingerboard, obviously.

The photos you see of "ideal/correct" technique - thumb behind the neck, etc - may not suit you. The general rule is, if it hurts/is uncomfortable, it's not right for you.

Thanks for the tips from everyone, and the correction advice. 

I feel like I should point out I'm actually left handed and sword fence, which doesn't help with the mobility or stretching of my fingers, but all the sword control is index finger and thumb, and a little wrist action depending what you're guarding.

So the position isn't uncomfortable for me, but I'll try dropping my thumb a little.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have watched several videos where the guy preaches using 2nd and 4th fingers to span 2 frets. This doesn't work for me at ALL. My hand wants to do this with 1 and 3. 2 and 4 feels utterly unnatural. In fact, I have to consciously order the pinky to get in the game. It would rather spectate.

I have an issue with the "one finger per fret" system...what happens when you play the note above the note you play with the third(ring) finger? Do you move the third(ring) finger or play it with your pinky?

I do the latter but this goes against the one finger per fret system.

3 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I have an issue with the "one finger per fret" system...what happens when you play the note above the note you play with the third(ring) finger? Do you move the third(ring) finger or play it with your pinky?

I do the latter but this goes against the one finger per fret system.

Where on the neck is this happening..? Below the seventh, I'd probably not be using the third finger much at all. I'd do whatever seems more natural, especially after going through the motions slowly, to see (feel..?) what's best. After that, I'd do as the Experts do : throw my fingers at the fretboard pell-mell and trust to luck. That's what the Experts do; I've seen 'em. However, they seem to be luckier than me. :|

Disclaimer : I'm a drummer. :$

One issue in the pictures is that the fingers are not behind the frets. Soundwise it is better to get close to the fret than try to push the string and float somewhere in between frets. Changing to a fretless is also easier later on.

Take your time, it will get better.

That looks perfectly normal. Just flexing my hands without anything in them I find that extending the little finer right out brings the middle two closer together.

I can, just, play 1FPF all the way to the nut and while I have no problem with my little finger I do miss-hit with the index. Four fingers over three frets seems to work more easily until about 3 or 5th.

I'm trying to learn to move my thumb about more so things are more comfortable and fluid. Any suggestions?Talcum powder on the neck to stop my thumb sticking??

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richard R said:

I'm trying to learn to move my thumb about more so things are more comfortable and fluid. Any suggestions?Talcum powder on the neck to stop my thumb sticking??

Release your grip so your thumb can move, not slide. Play with the lightest grip you can manage. It'll take time, but, you should focus on speed and accuracy of your hand movement. Maybe take the strings down a little? You'll get there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

Release your grip so your thumb can move, not slide. Play with the lightest grip you can manage. It'll take time, but, you should focus on speed and accuracy of your hand movement. Maybe take the strings down a little? You'll get there.

Oh, you mean practice.😄

• Like 2

On 05/03/2021 at 00:09, chris_b said:

A good fretting hand technique isn't about reaching as many frets as you can in a stretch. It's about accuracy, control and flowing smooth movements across the board. How do you manage fast runs with your fingers extended like that? 

sometimes its as long as you can play the bass line, yet, if you feel a tho your fretting hand is letting you down ,, try practicing on a guitar , one finger per fret on guitar etc should be easy , unless you want to do crazy fast solos like immediately now , just take it easy, keep practicing & eventually your fingers should fall into place ,, albeit, closer to your desired position

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

the thumb sometimes, in reference to theory only has two positions it either lines up to your middle finger ,, & you play major using one finger per fret , or the thumb lines up to your 1st finger & you play a minor scale ,, also one finger per fret ,,

try any exercise given from baschat peeps on guitar 1st , if bass feels to big

i now use thumb over .. like chris squire like louis johnson means i use 5 digits on the fret board not 4,

tho strongly agree with scotts bass lessons its important to get the fret board right , before you employ party tricks , thanks

@Trylle After I moved back to bass guitar after stopping playing the double bass I brought the four fingers to cover three semi-tones technique with me, having previously been a finger per fret player on bass guitar.

My playing was more relaxed and consistent using the third and fourth finger together.

Based on your hand photo it looks like there is a lot of tension  and more of a bend in your wrist to compensate for the finger positioning.

See if you can get comfortable using first finger, middle finger and then ring and pinky together on the third fret.

You'll potentially be moving up/down the neck more often, but your hand will be much more relaxed in the process.

All the best