Why become a member? ×

Setup conundrum.

Joebethell

I have a Zilla 2x12 cab which is great but it is presenting me with a few issues. 

I'm looking at potentially replacing my current head with a higher powered valve amp and it is showing up issues with space current is an Ashdown LB which fits great but at 30watts may struggle if I every get back to loud gigs in a full band setup. 

The cab is vertical with a narrow width or around 470mm this Is not ideal for placing an amp on top so I'm trying to think outside the box! 

The easy option would be to fit extra feet to the side of the cab and lay it horizontally but I dont really want to I like it as is. 

So I'm looking for ideas for head placement so far I thought of building a support to fit on top of the cab or using a flight case next to the cab as a table for the head. 

Any thoughts out there? This is the cab in question when I purchased it. received_10157080668559951.jpeg.0952a04296dc545fd12650732eb091b6.jpeg

Edited by Joebethell
Spelling

18 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

What about the Handbox WB100, I very nearly bought one a while back, it looks great ,the dimensions are  WxHxD- 460x185x340(mm)

Couldnt find pricing or availability on the handbox stuff both amps on the site seem to have 0.00zl as a price currently as did want to look into it as one of a few potential options 

1 minute ago, Joebethell said:

Couldnt find pricing or availability on the handbox stuff both amps on the site seem to have 0.00zl as a price currently as did want to look into it as one of a few potential options 

Yeah, I liked the look of it and I remembered that it wasn’t that big , I know @wateroftyne has or had one, perhaps he could help 🙂

10 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

This cabinet seems to be aimed ay guitar players not bass players. If it's loaded with Vin30s it won't handle much bass.

There are two 2x12 cabinets on their website, including one containing a pair of BN12-300S https://www.zillacabs.com/bass-fatboy.

Now that speaker seems to polarize opinion here on BassChat as to whether it's appropriate for bass, so much so that I contacted Celestion about it. This was their response:

The BN12-300S was originally created as a bass speaker, although the way it’s been engineered it’s for faster action rather than for deep bass.

I don't think I've come across anyone on this site who owns these speakers and dislikes them, so there's that in their favour!

3 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

Just loading in a different driver is not going to make it suitable for bass. The cabinet has to be designed around the driver used.

That's true, but I don't see the relevance here, unless you think the cabinet isn't designed around the speaker. If that is what you're saying, how do you know that?

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Just loading in a different driver is not going to make it suitable for bass. The cabinet has to be designed around the driver used.

I purchased it direct from zilla with direct contact they do make bass cabs I dont really understand what point you are making I have owned 2x10 cabs by zilla previously and they were great I now have a 2x12 I'm happy with but was after help with a setup if I want to go back to a powerful head compared to my current 30watt LB that was all. 

Screenshot_20210320-005809_Samsung Internet.jpg

@Joebethell Sorry to take this thread off topic, but did you order your come with tweeters? Is that a possibility? I was originally in the market for a GSS cab with this speaker and tweeter, but they're based in France and so it's harder to order them in the UK now.

7 hours ago, chyc said:

@Joebethell Sorry to take this thread off topic, but did you order your come with tweeters? Is that a possibility? I was originally in the market for a GSS cab with this speaker and tweeter, but they're based in France and so it's harder to order them in the UK now.

Hi mine doesnt have tweeters it's basically a bass fatboy just without the extra feet on the side to lay it horizontally. 

I would advise contacting them direct and having a conversation as i know they undertake custom work so I'm sure you could get in touch with your needs and they would be happy to help. 

I spoke to Paul a few years ago when I go the cab and got really quick replies on Facebook messenger if that helps 👍

• Thanks 1