Why become a member? ×

P-Rick 5 String Build Started

Jimothey

• 9 months later...

Surprise surprise this build is changing! I ended up selling the body as I wasn't happy with it! 

This is now going to be another hybrid a mix of a Rick and '51 P bass (I think I might call it the P-Rick) 

Its going to be made out of reclaimed materials again possibly oak or mahogany topped or I might try a bit of shou sugi ban finish on some Pine? 

I can't decide whether to have a pickguard or not here's roughly how it might look? 

With a pickguard

_20220105_162623.thumb.JPG.9836c5876ff9db605622dc3488a90841.JPG

Or without _20220105_162814.thumb.JPG.7aced942cc9bc30034570a176a8d5ec0.JPG

The headstock shape is probably going to change to a more plain shape but I haven't decided yet?........... 👍🏻 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dom in Dorset said:

I prefer it with the pickguard, it took me a few seconds to work out what it was even though it looks so familiar, a true hybrid. Without the pickguard it's just a Ric with a Tele control plate. (IMO)

Im leaning more towards with the pickguard? I think it needs a bit of a tweak tho? 

Im thinking single coil pickup with the pickguard or split coil without? 

43 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

And even that looks better than a Rick! I find their white plastic scratchplate ghastly. 

The pickguard will probably be made out of wood and stained black or maybe kept natural I'll decide nearer the time?...... 👍🏻 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This build is now going to be a 5er instead with a single soapbar pickup with chrome hardware 

I'm gluing up the blank now its Pine back with Oak top, the pine is going to be stained a bit darker I've got some tinted Danish oil that is a medium brown so hopefully it will look quite nice the pickguard is going to be ply again more than likely stained black....... But who knows...... 👍🏻 

• Like 1

• Jimothey changed the title to P-Rick 5 String Build Started
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally was able to get back on this one here’s a mock up of how it will look……..

With pickguard

5EA122B6-E038-4DD3-A3D4-478428428CBC.jpeg.c89568f887452bc349c7c8972a38af7d.jpeg

Without pickguard

175A8F9A-152A-413E-9FB5-C90C96492101.jpeg.6ef25515c52d24a8763b2c749e4b584f.jpeg

I think I prefer it without the pickguard, but hopefully this one is going to go up for sale?…..👍🏻

• Like 2