Why become a member? ×

P-Rick 5 String Build Started

Jimothey

I'm using the same shape that I planned to do the 6 string body but I've taken about 20mm out of the middle to keep the dimensions right 

_20210304_164553.thumb.JPG.a5bfc52c59755cfdfa2ed4740bb95f1d.JPG

Gluing up the body blank which is Sapele and the top is going to be Oak with a Ebony-esque demarcation line between as I really liked that combination when I did my $$ build

_20210304_164451.thumb.JPG.525e0f8cbd3b46d4737f42cbae75142e.JPG_20210304_164350.thumb.JPG.4fd02ffb50bd8c6ba623a27fc397eb80.JPG

The top is going to be Black grain filled again then just danish oiled, I'm thinking of maybe doing a chamfered edge on it instead of rounded for a change? 

I'm going to go for a full paddle head flat headstock neck I'm not sure which would look better Rosewood or Maple fretboard? 

As far as pickup config I'm not entirely sure I'm leaning more towards a single MM but that could change? hardware will probably be Black?.....👍🏻 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Si600 said:

Four SimS pickups?

The glued up blank looks splendid. 

I think I'll leave that for the likes of Andy to build! 

The top has got a nice bit of a grain pattern to it which I think will really look good when grain filled.... 👍🏻 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, stereoplayer said:

Opinion...I would use a darker neck, fretboard at least.

The more I look at it I'm thinking your right it needs at least a rosewood fretboard but I might stain the neck walnut or something like that?...... 👍🏻 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

The more I look at it I'm thinking your right it needs at least a rosewood fretboard but I might stain the neck walnut or something like that?...... 👍🏻 

Or maybe just the headstock front a little darker? Along with the rosewood fretboard.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

Oooo, I just thought if this...laminate a thin piece of the body wood to the headstock front! With a rosewood fretboard.

Edited by stereoplayer
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, stereoplayer said:

Oooo, I just thought if this...laminate a thin piece of the body wood to the headstock front! With a rosewood fretboard.

I've got some of the Oak left I could thin it down and do a matching headstock like on my $$ build.....👍🏻 

• Like 2

Personally I'd have more of the core wood showing on the top shape. Probably take it round to the same height as the rear, so almost the bottom of the mid-bout.

Re: The logo - not going to help much - I like both the first and third.

Edited by TheGreek
  • Thanks 1

On 13/03/2021 at 00:56, Jimothey said:

I've been having a little play around with logo ideas here's what I've come up with at the moment but they are still work in progress? 

_20210312_222942.thumb.JPG.c268ade46461883402ebe49c64f28f5d.JPG_20210312_210443.thumb.JPG.6b08248d7e175f62705dca2439a40553.JPG_20210312_204439.thumb.JPG.f05dd0d8b85e2c9b720f5fae93a20e30.JPG

I like #1 the best, although the extended B makes it look a bit like a crucifix. Unless that's what you're going for of course!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1