Why become a member? ×

Projectors for light shows. Anyone tried using one?

skidder652003

We used to have an oil Lamp Projector and it was brill until it blew up.

I'd like to replace it but they're expensive and a bit of a one trick pony so that got me to thinking about a modern LED projector. Not only could you project an oil wheel effect

like this  below but also band logo, cinematic effects etc etc. It would be a challenge to project it on a black backdrop I guess but has anyone tried using one and if so, how was it?

I'd be especially interested in how powerful it would need to be and how big  the size of the projection screen could go.

I don't know if it is of any interest Steve but I have a Rank Aldis Tutor 2 you are welcome to, no oil wheel but it worked last time I used it. If the oil wheel is working then you are back to the 70's

PM me if you are interested

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

If anyone is vaguely interested, I edited (in Reaper video) and uploaded some "trippy" visuals onto an SD card to run for over 2 hours and put them into a cheap projector I got for nothing. I think I'll try running this above the band on the ceiling alongside the regular lights and haze, hopefully producing a decent look. PS that's about 9 feet across on the back wall at a distance of about 12 feet. Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/03/2021 at 20:41, Phil Starr said:

I don't know if it is of any interest Steve but I have a Rank Aldis Tutor 2 you are welcome to, no oil wheel but it worked last time I used it. If the oil wheel is working then you are back to the 70's

PM me if you are interested

My best friend had a light show using several Rank Aldis Tutor 2 projectors. One trick was to use a tank (two  glass slides stuck together on three sides with car body filler). Then the oil  and inks were put in and the heat from the bulb produced some interesting effects. Of course light show were always pushing the boundaries and some of the most spectacular effects were when Isopropyl Alcohol was added to the tank. I was a little nervous at the time and Elf and Safe T would not allow it now but WOW.

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 2