Why become a member? ×

Anyone using external preamp pedals with their HX Stomp?

javi_bassist

Hi guys,

I'm just curious about how many people use external preamps with their HX Stomps. I think the Stomp comes with several good and usable preamps, but in my case, I prefer my Ashdown OriginAL to replicate my amp (Ashdown Rootmaster) when I don't use it. Anyone like me?

20210112_153015.jpg

That's probably the nicest looking board I've ever seen!

I use the aguilar db751 when I'm not using my tonehammer amp though. I find the low and high cuts and the aguilar drive control enough to get a good warm sound from the digital emulation. Although I can see why you would want your own preamp and combining the hx stomp on a board is where it really shines. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

Hi guys,

I'm just curious about how many people use external preamps with their HX Stomps. I think the Stomp comes with several good and usable preamps, but in my case, I prefer my Ashdown OriginAL to replicate my amp (Ashdown Rootmaster) when I don't use it. Anyone like me?

20210112_153015.jpg

Interesting. I'm just starting to get to grips with my Stomp, and I also use a Rootmaster amp system that I love for its no nonsense decent bass sound with no frills or fancy tricks. I'm trying to get set up for playing live so interested to see what advantages you're getting from this. Having spent 400 quid on a Stomp as a single box solution though I'm already finding myself going back to the bad days of pedal-boarding... I've bought an expression pedal, which I may replace with a bass Wah, and I have an external bass synth pedal, I'll need a board to hold it all... 

13 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Interesting. I'm just starting to get to grips with my Stomp, and I also use a Rootmaster amp system that I love for its no nonsense decent bass sound with no frills or fancy tricks. I'm trying to get set up for playing live so interested to see what advantages you're getting from this. Having spent 400 quid on a Stomp as a single box solution though I'm already finding myself going back to the bad days of pedal-boarding... I've bought an expression pedal, which I may replace with a bass Wah, and I have an external bass synth pedal, I'll need a board to hold it all... 

The main advantages that I get are: 

1-It has a DI out. I have a stereo DI>Jack adapter too, in case I use the HX as a preamp.

2-It has exactly the sound I can get from the DI of the RM. It's a sound that I like and I'm familiar with. 

Besides that, I'm now gigging with my band with an acoustic set and I only use the preamp. Not the comp nor the HX. Said that. I've also used the HX as a single box solution. There are pretty nice preamps in the HX (the ones I like are the Ampeg SVT and the SVT4). I used to have a 9-10 pedals. Now I have these 3. The HX Stomp could replicate my entire pedalboard by itself (first thing that I've tried when I bought it), but for now, I only use it for effects.