Why become a member? ×

Good small drum machine for practice

jazzburger

Hi, not sure if this should be asked in the Effects forum. I am returning to bass playing after at 10-year layoff (at least). I'm trying make practising easier and bit more fun. I'm hoping to get your advice on a small, relatively uncomplicated drum machine that I can leave running while I practice and doesn't need constant programming. I've seen many guitarists so involved with the tech that they forgot to play music - I'm 62 and I don't have time for that.

My eye is drawn to the Korg KR Mini but I'm wondering if that is *too* simple. I've never owned a drum machine - just borrowed a nice Yamaha, but that was over 30 years ago and I have no feel for what's good now. Alesis SR16 looks decent but that looks like it's too far to the complicated end of things. Help!

The KR Mini is very simple, no programming involved. But then you might as well play along to a CD of pre-recorded drums or youTube videos of drummers.

Anything programmable is going to involve the use of grey matter (to varying degrees depending on which machine you choose). What kind of drums to you want to play along to (that might influence your purchase)? The SR16 is a safe MOR type machine thats been around for about 30 years. You can pick them up 2nd hand for peanuts these days, see if it works for you and if it doesn't you'll be able to sell it on for what you paid for it

2 hours ago, sammybee said:

The SR16 is a safe MOR type machine thats been around for about 30 years. You can pick them up 2nd hand for peanuts these days, 

There's a reason they're the best selling Drum machine ever - so simple to use that even I can make it work. They sell for around £50 so don't pay more.

• Like 2

My brother has just given me a KR mini. Much better than my old QY10 as changing pattern or tempo is rapid.

You can program in chains of patterns and control it with a foot pedal.

You can record patterns although it seems not to be hugely user friendly.

I think the point is that it is meant to be basic, just easy and fun to use. If I want complex patterns I can use a DAW.

• Like 1

I'd like to thank you all for your advice. After a STUPID amount of research, I've installed Dr. Machine Jr and Loopz! on my Xperia Z3 Compact smartphone. They will start me off. The Beat Buddy/Mini/Mini 2 are on my radar and I'm 'watching' a couple of SR-16s too.

@BassApprentice I just saw your post. Thank you, I'll check out the Zoom.

8 hours ago, garyt said:

If you want something that is great out the box, and you can control easily, check out the Singular Sound Beat Buddy.  

Deffo agree with this. Extremely easy to use, very good sample sounds, not over-laden with bells and whistles you'll never use.

Speaking of that, if you go for the Beat Buddy don't buy the optional footswitch controller unless you're sure you'll need it. The basic unit is very good VFM, the footswitch rather less so!

• Like 2

Guys, I watched Scott Whitley's YouTube video unboxing the Zoom B1on and I bought it for a very fair price on eBay. My divorce will cost rather more I fear...

Again, I thank you all for your advice. This unit is just too nuts to ignore at the price.

Edited by jazzburger
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Super cheap and you get the bonus of an effects pedal as well as a drum machine. 

For all it does, the original price was unbelievably good. I found someone selling a very good used/boxed unit on a well-known auction site and it came in under half of what it would be brand new - though they don't seem to be manufactured any more. I'd probably buy it just for the fretless and octave divider effects but a tuner/drumbox will come in useful and a looper will be a giggle for practice. Not too many bells and whistles so I can concentrate on getting back to playing bass half-decently after a long layoff.

6 hours ago, jazzburger said:

For all it does, the original price was unbelievably good. I found someone selling a very good used/boxed unit on a well-known auction site and it came in under half of what it would be brand new - though they don't seem to be manufactured any more. I'd probably buy it just for the fretless and octave divider effects but a tuner/drumbox will come in useful and a looper will be a giggle for practice. Not too many bells and whistles so I can concentrate on getting back to playing bass half-decently after a long layoff.

For a back to bass returner they are the perfect practice machine. I use them to learn songs so my phone/iPod goes into the line in and I play along using headphones. The headphone amp is spot on too. The drum machine has just enough patterns and if I'm struggling with timing or need to go over a tricky run on it goes. The amp sims are great for headphone use and I don't need another tuner. Unbelievable for the money. Now replaced with the B1 Four. Also runs for hours on rechargables so one less lead to plug in and trip over. If mine ever fails I'll order the new one immediately.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2021 at 09:26, Happy Jack said:

Deffo agree with this. Extremely easy to use, very good sample sounds, not over-laden with bells and whistles you'll never use.

Speaking of that, if you go for the Beat Buddy don't buy the optional footswitch controller unless you're sure you'll need it. The basic unit is very good VFM, the footswitch rather less so!

The basic unit is great , but the footswitch controller gives you ultimate control.  I use mine for band practices without a drummer and small gigs, which is when it comes into its own. 

• Like 1

On 04/03/2021 at 15:31, jazzburger said:

Hi, not sure if this should be asked in the Effects forum. I am returning to bass playing after at 10-year layoff (at least). I'm trying make practising easier and bit more fun. I'm hoping to get your advice on a small, relatively uncomplicated drum machine that I can leave running while I practice and doesn't need constant programming. I've seen many guitarists so involved with the tech that they forgot to play music - I'm 62 and I don't have time for that.

My eye is drawn to the Korg KR Mini but I'm wondering if that is *too* simple. I've never owned a drum machine - just borrowed a nice Yamaha, but that was over 30 years ago and I have no feel for what's good now. Alesis SR16 looks decent but that looks like it's too far to the complicated end of things. Help!

I bought an SR16 and came very close to throwing it at a shut window. I’m a professional programmer and I’ve seen some really stinky poo interfaces in my time but the SR16 is hands-down the worst machine I’ve ever had to use 

try oxygen, a free online drum

machine

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, garyt said:

The basic unit is great , but the footswitch controller gives you ultimate control.  I use mine for band practices without a drummer and small gigs, which is when it comes into its own. 

Agreed, but you're talking about live situations with other musicians, whereas the OP wants something for home practice on his own.

For myself, I bought the footswitch because I thought I'd be using it like you. I ran into so much resistance that I soon abandoned that idea. I use mine mainly for setting up guide tracks when recording new songs (for which purpose it's excellent) since I can't play the drums, and also for home practice. Neither of those make any real use of the footswitch.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 08/03/2021 at 22:56, Geek99 said:

I bought an SR16 and came very close to throwing it at a shut window. I’m a professional programmer and I’ve seen some really stinky poo interfaces in my time but the SR16 is hands-down the worst machine I’ve ever had to use 

try oxygen, a free online drum

machine

Seen this:

I'm the world's worst technophobe - If I can operate it anybody can!!