Why become a member? ×

Audio interface issue!

Paul S

I'll start by saying I have no idea what I am doing.  Right, got that out of the way.

I have recently started using a Behringer UM02 as my audio interface. Got it plugged into the back of my pc via USB and I downloaded the right Behringer ASIO driver.  Seems to work just fine with Jamkazam after some tweaking. Got it connected to a powered speaker unit and use this for home practice, either with the speaker or headphones. 

I also have the original powered speakers that I was using with the pc.

At one point I did some recording in Audacity and that worked.  Also, at one time, I was able to play back music files/YouTubes on my pc via the Behringer - could switch between this and the other powered speakers.  Useful as I could listen to mp3 files and play along on headphones via the front of the Behringer.

But the last few times I have tried to play music/YouTube or record all I get is white noise.  The music or video kind of stutters along while it crackles.  I go into my settings and change the default back to the pc speakers, no problem.  Go in again, change the default to the Behringer, there is the problem again.  

Does this sound familiar?  Is there an easy fix?  Can it be explained in words of one syllable or less?

Muchas gracias!

Sounds like the problem is with the link to the interface or the interface itself, the first thing I would try is swapping the USB cable, if that doesn't work, swap back to the original cable (as we can be pretty sure that is OK) uninstall the interface completely and reinstall it, if still no joy then try the interface through another laptop or PC if you can, hopefully that will tell you whether the interface is faulty, if none of that works, get in a huff, sweep everything off the table and announce, theatrically you are going for a walk and may be some time, proceed to flounce out of the house!

• Like 1

This rings a bell ..

I have a line 6 ux1 and that works perfectly , so forget that for a moment .

I had issues when I lost the installation cd , so ended up buying I think the same model behringer as yours . I had the same problem .

I found the solution by going onto you tube . You need to "create an aggregate device ."  I did this on my iMac . I'm just about to nod off now 🛏, but if problem not resolved tomorrow I'll see if I can find it .  
zzz...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

Sounds like the problem is with the link to the interface or the interface itself, the first thing I would try is swapping the USB cable, if that doesn't work, swap back to the original cable (as we can be pretty sure that is OK) uninstall the interface completely and reinstall it, if still no joy then try the interface through another laptop or PC if you can, hopefully that will tell you whether the interface is faulty, if none of that works, get in a huff, sweep everything off the table and announce, theatrically you are going for a walk and may be some time, proceed to flounce out of the house!

The thing is - it did work and now doesn't.  And it does work in some circumstances such as playing my bass through it or in Jamkazam.  But playing back music has now stopped.

10 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Did you have a previous interface? I replaced my old one recently and had to keep telling the PC not to default to the old one (I've now deleted the driver, files, etc for the old one).

No previous one, only the sound card that was installed in the pc.  And when I change to the Behringer it just freezes when trying to listen to music. 

9 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

This rings a bell ..

I have a line 6 ux1 and that works perfectly , so forget that for a moment .

I had issues when I lost the installation cd , so ended up buying I think the same model behringer as yours . I had the same problem .

I found the solution by going onto you tube . You need to "create an aggregate device ."  I did this on my iMac . I'm just about to nod off now 🛏, but if problem not resolved tomorrow I'll see if I can find it .  
zzz...

Thanks for this.  I've found a few references on Google for 'Create Aggregate Device' so will investigate.

5 hours ago, Paul S said:

The thing is - it did work and now doesn't.  And it does work in some circumstances such as playing my bass through it or in Jamkazam.  But playing back music has now stopped.

It wouldn't be unusual for an interface to change over time how it interacts with an operating system, good old Microsoft have now made my Gen1 Focusrite 18i20 unusable with Windows 10 due to their last updates / built in obsolescence plan! The fact that it is still working to some degree suggests that a re-install might solve your issues

• Thanks 1

This is definitely doing my head in.  Last night I was all set up for the Jamkazam and according to the meters my output was within the acceptable limits, green lights across the board.  Except no-one could hear me and I couldn't hear anyone.

I've spent most of today uninstalling the Behringer ASIO driver, reinstalling it, changing ports, changing settings.  Each step involves re-booting.  After several attempts it seems I can only have the driver set up for mp3 playback and recording by leaving Jamkazam out of the equation.  And if I try to fiddle with the settings for Jamkazam nothing at all works.

So to preserve my sanity I have made an executive decision to abandon trying to get Jamkazam set up.  Should be able to rehearse 'properly' soon enough, well in time for the one ad only gig that is booked.

On 04/03/2021 at 13:54, Roger2611 said:

It wouldn't be unusual for an interface to change over time how it interacts with an operating system, good old Microsoft have now made my Gen1 Focusrite 18i20 unusable with Windows 10 due to their last updates / built in obsolescence plan! The fact that it is still working to some degree suggests that a re-install might solve your issues

Without wanting to hijack, what Win10 version are you on? To my knowledge, 1st Gen Scarletts are tested as compatible on version 2004.

Si // Focusrite