Why become a member? ×

Sandberg VM5 vs Harley Benton MP-5EB

Al Krow

Sandberg VM5 vs HB MP-5EB - which would you get?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Sandberg VM5 vs HB MP-5EB - which would you get?

• Sandberg VM5 - definitely worth the extra £££
    • HB MP-5EB - does a great job and good enough for me
    • I'm not a fan of either

I only asked abt the Sandberg as they usually keep their value on the used market quite well but buying new and selling on will always see a more significant loss over flipping on a used bass. It initially read like you lost more on it for a reason other than depreciation.

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks for that - so you had the same model but in the 4 string version. Do you recall how much it weighed and how well it balanced / much neck dive? 

I never weighed it but it didn't feel "light".  There was also a bit of neckdive.

@Al Krow

E7493B6F-9F80-4A19-AA05-22C0A58D63E1.thumb.png.aaa360d72d5c4aabd1520794e363d8a1.pngD0CDB53C-0FE7-4FBB-AD2A-E88F994970B9.thumb.png.7b13780cfbdf6242cb5c7e04e88e0472.png

So..........

5 string - check

reverse P - check

Not aged - check

black or white - check

Not Delano’s-check

likely Glock pre amp you have heard good things about - check

Could be 2 band or 3 band, but recent revelation is 3 band no longer an absolute - check

Has Midi - check (ooooooo nice extra)

Hovering at the £1k mark - check

No further mods - possible check

Whats to stop you?!

• Like 1

Oooh that does tick a lot of boxes! Cheers gents.

What's stopping me?...I may have just agreed to buy another bass literally 45 mins ago, lol! Can't really see my missus being too happy with two basses in one month, particularly as she has somehow found out about me and Cuzzie via another thread...

I'm seriously intrigued that he's preferring his Spector Rebop though. Must admit I'm more than a bit partial to nice bit of Spector!

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Oooh that does tick a lot of boxes! Cheers gents.

What's stopping me?...I may have just agreed to buy another bass literally 45 mins ago, lol! Can't really see my missus being too happy with two basses in one month, particularly as she has somehow found out about me and Cuzzie via another thread...

I'm seriously intrigued that he's preferring his Spector Rebop though. Must admit I'm more than a bit partial to nice bit of Spector!

I overheard your Mrs saying anything that keeps him locked in the music room is fine by me - crack on

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, krispn said:

What did you agree to buy? I only ask as it even has midi which you mentioned fitting to a cheapie 5er. It literally ticks all boxes. It’s uncanny!

I know, it really does tick a lot of boxes.

A Carvin BB neck-through 5 string. Being brought round by the seller tomorrow night. Needs a new preamp, so all the recent chat about those & EQ has been very useful too! 

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

A Carvin BB neck-through 5 string. Being brought round by the seller tomorrow night. Needs a new preamp, so all the recent chat about those & EQ has been very useful too! 

The one I suggested is different so it’s fine

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Nope, not that I know of! 

Sorry my bad. I thought you’d nabbed a 5’er but returned it due to a dodgy eq. Look forward to the warts and all in a nbd thread 😀

Edited by krispn

47 minutes ago, krispn said:

Sorry my bad. I thought you’d nabbed a 5’er but returned it due to a dodgy eq. Look forward to the warts and all in a nbd thread 

Hah, actually you're more than half way to recollecting correctly. It's a bass I nearly bought a month ago, but had the opportunity to try before I bought. It's beautifully balanced and was great to play, but the EQ seemed to be a little shot. The seller kindly agreed to check it out and concurs and has adjusted his asking price to allow me to budget for a new pre. 

20 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Great basses Carvin BB's. I've a BB75, the one in my profile picture, it's a definite keeper.

Swapped the pre-amp for a Glockenklang 3 band as I felt the original one was getting a bit tired. Transformed it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BassBunny said:

Great basses Carvin BB's. I've a BB75, the one in my profile picture, it's a definite keeper.

Swapped the pre-amp for a Glockenklang 3 band as I felt the original one was getting a bit tired. Transformed it.

Brilliant thanks for that. Love to exchange notes / pick your brains. Will PM you, if that's ok.

Mine should be arriving in the next 45 mins :) 

• Like 1

Was looking at the Enhanced basses a while ago for use as an interesting backup bass*, unfortunately I need a 5 and from watching the videos around at the time (the Basstheworld one was out IIRC) the low B was flabby, something which has stopped me pulling the trigger on a fair few HB basses over the years. If you need a 5 then that's something to consider as the Sandberg is going to have a solid low B and no amount of pickup or preamp swaps will make the HB as good in that department,

*That's the official reason, in all honesty I just wanted one.

7 minutes ago, petecarlton said:

Am I wrong in thinking that buying the HB (only available from Thomann) is going to involve you in extra customs and customs management charges as it costs more than £100?  Or has that changed since I last looked (a few weeks ago, tbh)?

Should be fine. Maybe a little extra in terms of handling costs, but there are no Customs duties on imports of basses from the EU and you always had to pay the VAT on new basses anyway.

Where there is an issue is with used basses to / from the EU where an additional VAT charge applies now and makes UK <--used goods--> EU much less attractive.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Al Krow said:

Should be fine. Maybe a little extra in terms of handling costs, but there are no Customs duties on imports of basses from the EU and you always had to pay the VAT on new basses anyway.

Where there is an issue is with used basses to / from the EU where an additional VAT charge applies now and makes UK <--used goods--> EU much less attractive.

Thanks Al, very helpful.  (Not that I intend to buy either of these basses - the pup configuration doesn't appeal to me.)

5 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Was looking at the Enhanced basses a while ago for use as an interesting backup bass*, unfortunately I need a 5 and from watching the videos around at the time (the Basstheworld one was out IIRC) the low B was flabby, something which has stopped me pulling the trigger on a fair few HB basses over the years. If you need a 5 then that's something to consider as the Sandberg is going to have a solid low B and no amount of pickup or preamp swaps will make the HB as good in that department,

*That's the official reason, in all honesty I just wanted one.

Interesting point. So what's the key cause of a flabby B string?

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting point. So what's the key cause of a flabby B string?

No idea, usually neck construction though I think? I came away with the same impression from their fancy neck through basses as well, the low B just wasn't tight enough for me. I'd still be interested in trying one of the HB Enhanced basses as I love the idea of a budget version of a Sandberg California.

35 minutes ago, petecarlton said:

Am I wrong in thinking that buying the HB (only available from Thomann) is going to involve you in extra customs and customs management charges as it costs more than £100?  Or has that changed since I last looked (a few weeks ago, tbh)?

Doubt it as the threshold is £350 not £100.

• Thanks 1