Why become a member? ×

Labella flats string dice things. Leave on?

41Hz

Hi,

Just got my first set of labella low tension flats and they have little numbered cubes on each string at the ball end.

A quick google brought up some suggestions from the talkbass forum that you take these off, however when I put them in the ferrule and apply tension the cubes allow the string to rotate freely. When I take them off they don’t rotate easily, so I’m thinking that actually leaving them on may help prevent the strings getting twisted when I wind them onto the tuning pegs.

Any thoughts on this?

26 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Daft question alert - but how do you wind the strings then? I've always wound them by hand. Am i doing it wrong?

The only way you should wind the string on is by turning the tuning key.  Don't loop the string manually around the peg a few times first.

28 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

The only way you should wind the string on is by turning the tuning key.  Don't loop the string manually around the peg a few times first.

Ahh - yes sorry I'm with you now. I understand.

If i'm re-using strings on that have already been on before, and therefore are already curled up at the headstock end, i try to keep the length of them slack so they can rotate freely in the bridge holes right up until they get tightened up, for that reason.