Why become a member? ×

Denmark Street - the future?

Stingray5

14 minutes ago, Noisyjon said:

You must be very old, that was pre mid-19th century!!!

Probably the last time i brought something in Denmark street 😂

It is a shame to see it like that though. There are still a few shops on the other side but not any of the ones I used to visit, other than Rose Morris, and even that looks nothing like it used to. 

That's very sad - like a ghost town.  I blame the Gear Abstinence thread, and the internet...  

I am always intrigued by how the shops move - Hanks was in the middle of the street, as was Wunjo's.  Now, they are at opposite ends of the parade of shops.  Music shops in Denmark Street are like hermit crabs - when a better shell is available, they move into it. 

1 hour ago, bass_dinger said:

That's very sad - like a ghost town.  I blame the Gear Abstinence thread, and the internet...  

I am always intrigued by how the shops move - Hanks was in the middle of the street, as was Wunjo's.  Now, they are at opposite ends of the parade of shops.  Music shops in Denmark Street are like hermit crabs - when a better shell is available, they move into it. 

Hanks had 4 different owners since the early 90s, and moved due to the current owner downsizing and keeping the one shop with the cheapest rent, which is the old Andy’s at number 27. It went from just acoustics to a bit of everything. Knowing the owner well, I personally avoid it. 

Wunjo first moved from around the corner, and then into Denmark St. Other moves after that were due to the order of the building works and subsequent deals with the landlords; aside from the expansion sister shops like bass & keys. 

Bryant’s and Maccaris were similar, moving into Denmark St from around the corner. 

Since my time there, starting in ‘93, there’s been lots of ownership changes all around, that alters the landscape. 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1