Why become a member? ×

Denmark Street - the future?

Stingray5

Just saw this article regarding a future development for Denmark Street also involving Bob Harris.

"...The immersive media, music and entertainment district is set to open in central London in winter 2021. A 2,000 capacity venue, the return of the 12 Bar Club and a further intimate live space will open at the Denmark Street site..."

Full article here:
https://www.musicweek.com/live/read/outernet-partners-with-bob-harris-under-the-apple-tree/082732

3 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Nothing about how the ultra low emissions zone, congestion charge payable before and after 12am, and 24 hour parking charges in central London, will affect anyone who wants to go or play there.

Go in on the tube with your folding bass and Line 6 Helix Pod thingy.

I doubt there's anything anyone can do about your emissions, though ...

😉

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Stingray5 said:

Just saw this article regarding a future development for Denmark Street also involving Bob Harris.

Nice . . . .

Part of the appeal to me was the grubby shops, and Andy's with the 50p coin stuck on the wooden stairs.  The rebooted Denmark Street looks very modern and it is not even clear if there will be shops there: "  . . . Outernet’s immersive digital walkway linking Denmark Street to the district’s wider retail and event venues".  But then, this is the future of music and I am part of the past.

I wish it every success. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

Nice . . . .

Part of the appeal to me was the grubby shops, and Andy's with the 50p coin stuck on the wooden stairs.  The rebooted Denmark Street looks very modern and it is not even clear if there will be shops there: "  . . . Outernet’s immersive digital walkway linking Denmark Street to the district’s wider retail and event venues".  But then, this is the future of music and I am part of the past.

I wish it every success. 

He’s waited many years but this is Bob’s revenge on the punk movement! 

He probably took the first swing of the sledgehammer to the Pistols’ rehearsal space!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

He’s waited many years but this is Bob’s revenge on the punk movement! 

He probably took the first swing of the sledgehammer to the Pistols’ rehearsal space!

What?!? The Pistols rehearsed?!?

• Haha 1

I loved Denmark Street, too. However, I've mixed feelings about it becoming a "heritage" area, which is the way it looks to be going. That will probably mean it's becoming full of corporate shops (nobody else can afford the rents and business rates) trying to trade on the area's "history" and charging tourist-level prices. The original spirit of it - small, interesting, independent shops, bars, music venues, etc  - has pretty much departed, sadly. Is it worth trying to re-create a pale imitation of it or keep it on life-support?

• Like 1

On 03/03/2021 at 20:06, Lozz196 said:

I’m glad they’re doing something about Denmark St, especially re The 12 Bar.

I played The 12 Bar years ago with singer-songwriter Jeanette Murphy. Not the biggest of venues, I remember it being a bit of a squeeze getting on the stage. I also recall an upper level balcony which seemed like I could almost reach up and touch it from the stage...!

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Loved Denmark St....spent a few bob on Comics there too.

Yes, of course, Forbidden Planet! I always tried to make time to pop in and check out the stock when I was up-West.  :) 

19 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I loved Denmark Street, too. However, I've mixed feelings about it becoming a "heritage" area, which is the way it looks to be going. That will probably mean it's becoming full of corporate shops (nobody else can afford the rents and business rates) trying to trade on the area's "history" and charging tourist-level prices. The original spirit of it - small, interesting, independent shops, bars, music venues, etc  - has pretty much departed, sadly. Is it worth trying to re-create a pale imitation of it or keep it on life-support?

One of the best things about Denmark Street was that it never became a tourist trap -- it was a place that attracted visitors, and some tourists, but always maintained its identity as a place where the flesh, blood and sinew of the music business went about its day-to-day.

The kind of transformation you mention makes a nonsense of local identity. I remember a visit a few years ago to a part of east London I used to haunt before it was sent for the socioeconomic equivalent of elocution lessons and a new wardrobe. Instead of the frayed fabric I had remembered, I found commerce indistinguishable from that of SoHo in New York: glossy chains selling the same sportswear, the same lifestyle accessories, the same ephemeral technology in pseudo-minimalist spaces, the same expensive but oddly unerotic lingerie, the same crockery, the same "unique" quirky small businesses that were now small global chains. I don't want or expect places to remain unchanged, and there are benefits as well as disadvantages to regeneration. Nonetheless, places do become soulless when they become generic.

Denmark Street, like Soho and its environs in general, has had its heyday. It was great while it lasted. It will certainly be remembered but I agree that it cannot be preserved.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

... glossy chains selling the same sportswear, the same lifestyle accessories, the same ephemeral technology in pseudo-minimalist spaces, the same expensive but oddly unerotic lingerie, the same crockery, the same "unique" quirky small businesses that were now small global chains...

These same places will be re-visited by a future generation with as much nostalgia and sentiment of deception, as they will have again evolved. Maybe to heights even more giddy, maybe sunken to dens of depravity; time will tell. It's only places of great-enough 'historical mass' that resist, and even those are subject to the Laws of Change (Stonehenge, anyone..?). One day the Pyramids themselves will return to the sands from which they came. It's just a question of time, and a function of getting old that we reminisce in this way. B|

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

These same places will be re-visited by a future generation with as much nostalgia and sentiment of deception, as they will have again evolved. Maybe to heights even more giddy, maybe sunken to dens of depravity; time will tell. It's only places of great-enough 'historical mass' that resist, and even those are subject to the Laws of Change (Stonehenge, anyone..?). One day the Pyramids themselves will return to the sands from which they came. It's just a question of time, and a function of getting old that we reminisce in this way. B|

All true, and nicely put. I don't think the major chains expect anyone to preserve them, of course. They seem to change logos, design and store aesthetics quicker than I change tyres.

To be honest, I don't really mind Dalston becoming a place where the risk of being mugged has shifted to the risk of being modestly overcharged. But my main sentiment is, "Après moi, le déluge." I am reminded of the effects of entropy every time I look in my refrigerator, so a bit of regeneration is okay with me. As for Denmark Street, I also remember the old hands bemoaning its changes when I talked to them in 1986, so it's certainly a ripe locus for old bloke nostalgia.  ("Aye, an' you could get a Japanese Fender for next to nowt, lad...")

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Probably the archaeologists of the future will find some fret wire there, and a scrap of pale wood and claim it’s obviously a “real Hendrix Stratocaster fragment”, a piece of the one true cross (...town traffic) 

see what I did there? 😎

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...