Why become a member? ×

Heavy Rock... it's not just for boys...

odysseus

On 04/03/2021 at 18:11, Killed_by_Death said:

Band-Maid are excellent & Misa is the dog's bollocks:

lots of all woman bands in the Land of the Rising Sun, going back a long way

Remember Shonen Knife?

I was going to suggest The Ramonas, great band and great girls as well, have done a good few gigs with them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rich said:

Becky Baldwin is one of the finest musicians I know, she's a superb bassist with a whole bunch of great projects both past and present. She depped for me a few years ago and I'm bloody lucky the band didn't offer her my job permanently :lol: Her highest profile current bands are Fury and Hands Off Gretel. Being female she's had to deal with a lot of unnecessary get-em-out crap over the years -- sadly it seems to be an occupational hazard for female musos.

I'm liking that track! 

Sadly, it's all too true about what many female musicians have to put up with.  The more neanderthal element of the music fan base seem to view women in rock bands as a bit of a gimmick.

Here there are quite a few heavy bands with one or two ladies in, but not that many that are all female. However, the heavy rock/hardcore/power metal scene in Japan seems to produce more all-female bands than I would have expected, and mostly with some serious chops in the back pocket.  I'm not sure why this is... a respect thing, maybe? Is it that women don't get the crap they do over here?  Is it a product of a country where more kids have access to a musical education early on? A mate of mine's sister-in-law worked in Japan and said that proportionately more kids have music lessons from an early age over there, but I've never been so I can't comment.  

16 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

They are a great band but I actually enjoyed their original stuff more than their Ramones covers. 

Agree, I saw them perform their original material in 2019 at Rebellion and was very impressed. And it gave the guitarist a break from all those down strokes which I’m sure she was grateful for, plus it also allowed her to show how good a guitarist she really is

On 03/03/2021 at 16:11, MacDaddy said:

Wow! They are women!

They are in a band but they are women!

They are playing their own instruments but they are women!

They are playing metal but they are women!

They are doing what men do but they are women!

Whatever next? Maybe we'll have women driving buses, and possibly even women being politicians!

Whatever next?  Well, you asked for it. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/03/2021 at 17:44, odysseus said:

I'm liking that track! 

Sadly, it's all too true about what many female musicians have to put up with.  The more neanderthal element of the music fan base seem to view women in rock bands as a bit of a gimmick.

Here there are quite a few heavy bands with one or two ladies in, but not that many that are all female. However, the heavy rock/hardcore/power metal scene in Japan seems to produce more all-female bands than I would have expected, and mostly with some serious chops in the back pocket.  I'm not sure why this is... a respect thing, maybe? Is it that women don't get the crap they do over here? 

Not speaking for anyone other than myself, I'd say you have hit the nail on the head - in Japan it surely must be a cultural/respect thing.

I've seen some really shocking comments when videos of female players are put up on YT.  Just because they are female, what's that about? The irony is that, in real life, I have always found the metal scene to be THE most respectful of them all. Go figure ..

Had to laugh the other day when I was watching an Iron Maidens 'Number of the Beast' video on YT. The top comment was "I bet none of us thought we'd be listening to this track thirty years later with our pants round our ankles" 😂

• Haha 1