Why become a member? ×

Expensive P!zzing-about by Fender

PaulThePlug

Custom Shop Kerching...

https://www.guitarworld.com/amp/news/fender-unveils-stunning-2021-custom-shop-prestige-collection-featuring-guitars-with-no-boundaries

Couple of Ps in their, but generaly what were they thinking, why would you? and people with a lot of time on their hands....

Edited by PaulThePlug

Every year Fender asks their top luthiers to each make a one off for display at the various shows.

This is this years collection, it's primary purpose is marketing, something to grab a bit of attention for the brand.

Although I'm sure they also make a healthy profit when they sell.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

Fender have been trying to 'up their game' for years by calling it a lifestyle:

image.png.585c6734ceedf99510c5ac88c08a3226.png

They literally wrote it, because figuratively writing never works out.

I think it started around the time they introduced the Dee Dee Ramone signature bass with a lot of hoopla in NYC, attended by his widow & Johnny's widow, as well as some actual Punks, like Billy Idol & Steve Jones.

Please don't look up their 'performance' that evening, it was horrific.

The guitar with the split-coil pickups is just too similar to C.L. Fender's Z-Coils (G&L):

xfs0ouiinavsoitsumlx.jpg

Well, maybe not all that similar, because the Z-Coils would probably stomp all over whatever Fender did, LOL!

Anyway, these new designs just remind me of that 'Lifestyle' thing, I think there are some Bohemians working in their Marketing department now.

This is probably the most "modern" looking Fender I've seen and quite like it. Yes its a bit bling but not too OTT.

image.thumb.png.bd2657bf63b7fa0d02c8bae57c8a175c.png

Now lets talk about this one......😳 Design premis "make me a bass out of some old floorboards adorned with a 60's formica chopping board shaped into scratch plate whilst bolting on one of those used necks we found behind the skip"...... If this bass had come up on Ebay by a certain bass-bodger ...er builder then there would be a Basschat thread about how could he wreck something so badly! :shok: :ph34r: 😂

image.thumb.png.10fd4243d995e92b2b13c5f068c67eb7.png

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Acebassmusic said:

Now lets talk about this one......😳 Design premis "make me a bass out of some old floorboards adorned with a 60's formica chopping board shaped into scratch plate whilst bolting on one of those used necks we found behind the skip".

Bloody shame this one. Started well by using pine, and going with the 51 style headstock.

All downhill after that 😃

22 minutes ago, Rich said:

The Jazz Tele is gorgeous. Really lovely.
The rest? Bleh.

image.png.427785cab905a2b9d3fa8d5de8e9e08b.png

It is nice.

It's the sort of thing Fender have been doing in their 'Parallel Universe' series.

So there might be half a chance that if it gets enough attention something like it could get a limited production run.

59 minutes ago, Acebassmusic said:

Now lets talk about this one......😳 Design premis "make me a bass out of some old floorboards adorned with a 60's formica chopping board shaped into scratch plate whilst bolting on one of those used necks we found behind the skip"...... If this bass had come up on Ebay by a certain bass-bodger ...er builder then there would be a Basschat thread about how could he wreck something so badly! :shok: :ph34r: 

image.thumb.png.10fd4243d995e92b2b13c5f068c67eb7.png

The bass is not my cup of tea either but it has an interesting story:

• Like 1

Fender put out new designs pretty regularly. 

There was the Dimension bass a few years back. 

Various versions of the new Meteora guitar have proved quite popular over the last few years and the Parallel Universe series that spawned the Meteora is probably the most interesting line in the current Fender range, although there's not much for bass players.

Also worth remembering that that the Fender group owns Charvel and Jackson which cover the rock and metal markets and Gretsch which covers a lot of the same territory as Gibson.

Difficult to see what else could be done under the Fender brand without directly competing with it's own subsidiaries.