Why become a member? ×

It’s another “Does this exist ... “ type thread

Dazed

Ok I’ve been looking for a while and haven’t really found anything off the shelf. Other than a Dingwall Super P5 that i still kick myself over ignoring and I wouldn’t want to spend what a new Dingwall goes for now 😲

So 

precision type

5 string

30” or 32” scale

18/19mm spacing at the bridge 

no pointy bits - headstock or body

I’d  have loved to get hold of a Callowhill MBP5 but that seems very unlikely as:

a) Tim Cloonan sadly passed away prematurely a few years back

b) there aren’t many of his builds around or owners are loathe to let them go. 

pic for reference courtesy of Rayjay on TB

A6BBFCCF-28F3-4464-837A-94A3A6F26796.png

I have an Ibanez srmd205 - amazing little bass. 18mm at the bridge, 32" scale.

It sits great in the mix and my band prefer it to my Dingwall and Sandberg! Ok the B isn't like the Dingwall, and the pre-amp is a little noisy, but for a cheap and cheerful bass, it's really great. Scope to upgrade bits as required. Just seen black ones can be had for £239 now - crazy..

https://www.andertons.co.uk/ibanez-srmd205-bkf-5-string-bass-in-black-flat-srmd205-bkf?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwv2OzPeR7wIVwsLtCh1-QgbmEAQYAiABEgLKvfD_BwE

• Thanks 1

On 02/03/2021 at 15:40, redbandit599 said:

I have an Ibanez srmd205 - amazing little bass. 18mm at the bridge, 32" scale

Thanks for the tip! 
I had seen these and the Mezzo that @fretmeister (thanks also!) mentioned and they are possibilities, seen a few happy reviews here for both. Typical I start looking again when you can’t visit a shop and physically try anything! 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

On 02/03/2021 at 16:52, Cato said:

Looking at the Maruszcyzyk configurator it looks like they could do it.

Have a go, see if you can get your exact spec.

https://public-peace.de/configurator/jake-c/jake-c-type

I had a quick go on there and spent a virtual couple of grand 😄. It is a great tool though. Probably over my budget to be honest. 

• Like 1

On 02/03/2021 at 17:44, LukeFRC said:

Why not give John Shuker a bell? 

Thanks Luke, custom is an option,  but having bought a few used custom builds on here in the past it always seems a bit of a risky outlay without ever being sure the spec is what you really need. You just don’t know until it’s in your hands. 

Saying that I’ve come across a couple of newer builders online that look interesting so I have a few things to look into. 

It was really to see if there was anything slightly obscure that someone may have found available off the shelf. 

Funny you mention that Warwick I saw an ad earlier this week for a Streamer LX 32 5 which I’d never seen or heard of before. I’m not even sure they exist because the description didn’t mention the scale length so that could be a possible or a red herring. 

Funnily enough I’ve been speccing up 32” P basses on the Maroochick configuration tool too 😆

I’ve got a spec in my head and really want to find a justification for getting it. Mike Walsh (of Zoot/Purple Chilli fame) will build it if I can get my brain over the finish line.

BTW have you checked the stock Maroochick basses?

https://www.public-peace.de/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/jake/5-string

Edited by Merton
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dazed said:

I hadn’t  😄. ......  but now I have thanks @Merton  luckily I’m not a fan of blocks on maple necks !

You’ll have to bookmark it and check back once a month or so in case anything changes and new basses are added 😁