Yamaha BB vs Jazz Bass comparison

Vanheusen77

Which one sounds best here?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which one sounds best here?

• Yamaha
    • Jazz bass

2 hours ago, bigthumb said:

Listening on my computers speakers I could hardly tell any difference. Maybe the Jazz a little quieter? But both sounding great. 

They sound very similar on headphones too, I couldn’t reliably tell them apart.

For me the yamaha was just marginally more likeable on some sections, but only because they were switched in small sections. If the guy and done one whole section, waited a minute and done the same thing on the other bass, I doubt I would have been able to tell the difference.

And of course from a practical point of view, the jazz had a string missing!

The similarity between the two says something about how Fenderish the most recent generation of BB pickups are. 

I found that the difference between the Jazz and the BBP became more apparent as the video went on. I wonder if that's just my ears tuning in? At any rate, after I had heard the PJ being replaced by the JJ a couple of times, I knew for sure which I preferred.

Definitely just a subjective preference though, and I can see why some might think the JJ more suitable to the music being played.

I have to listen again with headphones but I heard a very small difference with in the mid range, at least I think I heard that 😅
The Jazz Bass had that classical mid scoop with both pickups wide open and the BB didn’t have that. 

(But take my opinion with a grain of salt since I’ve got my Fender mim Jazz Bass last week and I haven’t played a different bass since then. )

Edited by Ltsal

1 minute ago, Ltsal said:

The Jazz Bass had that classical mid scoop with both pickups wide open and the BB didn’t have that. 

I usually have the bridge pickups wide open and the neck Pickup a little less open. This gives me the more mid forward sound like the BB had for example. 

22 hours ago, Vanheusen77 said:

I made this short comparison with both clean DI sound and amp sim sound to test the difference between the PJ and JJ configuration.

Nice bit of playing there mate, I can't hear a difference in tone. I think it's your similar vid showing a BBP34 doing a very good impression of a Fender P. It's a very versatile bass !!

Edited by petebassist

1 hour ago, petebassist said:

Nice bit of playing there mate, I can't hear a difference in tone. I think it's your similar vid showing a BBP34 doing a very good impression of a Fender P. It's a very versatile bass !!

I liked that. I wondered what it was I liked... then realised it was the lake placid blue precision! (I've got similar colour precision on order) 
Yamaha sounds good too, slightly more modern sound? 

• Like 1

I just love the fact that we can discuss at length these extremely subtle tonal differences. I am a self confessed electric bass obsessive and I could pore over this kind of thing forever.

I don't think anyone outside of the bass community would get this at all. I know my wife doesn't. 

5 minutes ago, EJWW said:

I just love the fact that we can discuss at length these extremely subtle tonal differences. I am a self confessed electric bass obsessive and I could pore over this kind of thing forever.

I don't think anyone outside of the bass community would get this at all. I know my wife doesn't. 

The geek in me Knows that if the Yamaha PJ in the opening video was mine I would lower the bridge pup a smidge for my taste... of course saying something like that out loud would make me look a right knob

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

The geek in me Knows that if the Yamaha PJ in the opening video was mine I would lower the bridge pup a smidge for my taste... of course saying something like that out loud would make me look a right knob

You'll be alright as long as you don't write it down or post it in a discussion on Basschat 🤓

• Thanks 1